Nov 20, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Washington will be without its leading d-man scorer tonight against Pittsburgh.
Mike Green, who has missed the last two contests with a lower-body ailment, will be held out of his third straight game on Tuesday when the Caps host the Penguins at Verizon.
“Not ready. Not 100 percent ready,” head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Post. “He could go. [Pittsburgh is] really good team and don’t want to put him in a position where he’s behind the 8-ball a little bit.”
Green, who sits first among Caps defensemen with 11 points and third on the team in assists, has been logging a heavy workload this season. He’s averaging over 24 minutes per game and sits third among all blueliners in blocked shots, with 32.
“Mentally I’m in a good place, when you’re getting better and you can actually get back on the ice and work on your strength,” Green said. “This is my second real day where I’ve actually skated. Yesterday was a good one. Today was even better.
“I don’t think one practice would have been enough. It’s important I strengthen the leg and also my endurance so I’m ready to go.”
With Green out, the Caps will go with the same defensive group that suited up in Sunday’s 4-1 win over St. Louis: Karl Alzner, John Carlson, Tyston Strachan, Nate Schmidt, Alex Urbom and Steve Oleksy.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)