Nov 20, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Washington will be without its leading d-man scorer tonight against Pittsburgh.
Mike Green, who has missed the last two contests with a lower-body ailment, will be held out of his third straight game on Tuesday when the Caps host the Penguins at Verizon.
“Not ready. Not 100 percent ready,” head coach Adam Oates told the Washington Post. “He could go. [Pittsburgh is] really good team and don’t want to put him in a position where he’s behind the 8-ball a little bit.”
Green, who sits first among Caps defensemen with 11 points and third on the team in assists, has been logging a heavy workload this season. He’s averaging over 24 minutes per game and sits third among all blueliners in blocked shots, with 32.
“Mentally I’m in a good place, when you’re getting better and you can actually get back on the ice and work on your strength,” Green said. “This is my second real day where I’ve actually skated. Yesterday was a good one. Today was even better.
“I don’t think one practice would have been enough. It’s important I strengthen the leg and also my endurance so I’m ready to go.”
With Green out, the Caps will go with the same defensive group that suited up in Sunday’s 4-1 win over St. Louis: Karl Alzner, John Carlson, Tyston Strachan, Nate Schmidt, Alex Urbom and Steve Oleksy.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)