Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
This wasn’t even close.
In a battle for top spot in the Metropolitan Division, the Pittsburgh Penguins, playing on the road, dominated the host Washington Capitals on Wednesday night. The Penguins scored early and often enough to make this a blowout, defeating the Capitals 4-0 to take Rivalry Night on the NHL on NBCSN.
- The subplot of Sidney Crosby versus Alex Ovechkin, much like the main event, was largely one-sided. Crosby finished with two points. Ovechkin was held off the score sheet.
- The Capitals came into this game trailing the Penguins by one point in the Metropolitan Division. They now trail by three points.
- This was actually a home game for the Capitals. Hard to tell by their performance. Washington finished with 18 shots on goal. Needing some kind of push in the third period, the Capitals tested Marc-Andre Fleury a whopping four times.
- By the way, this Crosby goal was something else. Precision passing, solid finish.
- No Mike Green for the Capitals. Not sure he would’ve made the difference, but a talking point nonetheless.
- Fleury continues to play like he has something to prove. Not just for the Penguins, after back-to-back years of playoff disasters, but for his hopes of making the Canadian Olympic hockey team. Picked up win No. 13 of the season. Has to be in the discussion at this point.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)