Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
This wasn’t even close.
In a battle for top spot in the Metropolitan Division, the Pittsburgh Penguins, playing on the road, dominated the host Washington Capitals on Wednesday night. The Penguins scored early and often enough to make this a blowout, defeating the Capitals 4-0 to take Rivalry Night on the NHL on NBCSN.
- The subplot of Sidney Crosby versus Alex Ovechkin, much like the main event, was largely one-sided. Crosby finished with two points. Ovechkin was held off the score sheet.
- The Capitals came into this game trailing the Penguins by one point in the Metropolitan Division. They now trail by three points.
- This was actually a home game for the Capitals. Hard to tell by their performance. Washington finished with 18 shots on goal. Needing some kind of push in the third period, the Capitals tested Marc-Andre Fleury a whopping four times.
- By the way, this Crosby goal was something else. Precision passing, solid finish.
- No Mike Green for the Capitals. Not sure he would’ve made the difference, but a talking point nonetheless.
- Fleury continues to play like he has something to prove. Not just for the Penguins, after back-to-back years of playoff disasters, but for his hopes of making the Canadian Olympic hockey team. Picked up win No. 13 of the season. Has to be in the discussion at this point.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)