Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
This wasn’t even close.
In a battle for top spot in the Metropolitan Division, the Pittsburgh Penguins, playing on the road, dominated the host Washington Capitals on Wednesday night. The Penguins scored early and often enough to make this a blowout, defeating the Capitals 4-0 to take Rivalry Night on the NHL on NBCSN.
- The subplot of Sidney Crosby versus Alex Ovechkin, much like the main event, was largely one-sided. Crosby finished with two points. Ovechkin was held off the score sheet.
- The Capitals came into this game trailing the Penguins by one point in the Metropolitan Division. They now trail by three points.
- This was actually a home game for the Capitals. Hard to tell by their performance. Washington finished with 18 shots on goal. Needing some kind of push in the third period, the Capitals tested Marc-Andre Fleury a whopping four times.
- By the way, this Crosby goal was something else. Precision passing, solid finish.
- No Mike Green for the Capitals. Not sure he would’ve made the difference, but a talking point nonetheless.
- Fleury continues to play like he has something to prove. Not just for the Penguins, after back-to-back years of playoff disasters, but for his hopes of making the Canadian Olympic hockey team. Picked up win No. 13 of the season. Has to be in the discussion at this point.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)