Nov 20, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
This wasn’t even close.
In a battle for top spot in the Metropolitan Division, the Pittsburgh Penguins, playing on the road, dominated the host Washington Capitals on Wednesday night. The Penguins scored early and often enough to make this a blowout, defeating the Capitals 4-0 to take Rivalry Night on the NHL on NBCSN.
- The subplot of Sidney Crosby versus Alex Ovechkin, much like the main event, was largely one-sided. Crosby finished with two points. Ovechkin was held off the score sheet.
- The Capitals came into this game trailing the Penguins by one point in the Metropolitan Division. They now trail by three points.
- This was actually a home game for the Capitals. Hard to tell by their performance. Washington finished with 18 shots on goal. Needing some kind of push in the third period, the Capitals tested Marc-Andre Fleury a whopping four times.
- By the way, this Crosby goal was something else. Precision passing, solid finish.
- No Mike Green for the Capitals. Not sure he would’ve made the difference, but a talking point nonetheless.
- Fleury continues to play like he has something to prove. Not just for the Penguins, after back-to-back years of playoff disasters, but for his hopes of making the Canadian Olympic hockey team. Picked up win No. 13 of the season. Has to be in the discussion at this point.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)