Nov 20, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Rostislav Olesz era in New Jersey is over and, suffice to say, it won’t be remembered fondly.
The Czech forward was placed on unconditional waivers Wednesday for the purpose of terminating his contract. According to the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Olesz will be suspended by the Devils and given his release, to facilitate his move to the Swiss league.
Olesz had already been placed on regular waivers but, with no takers, was assigned to AHL Albany. The Devils opted to waive the 28-year-old after he made just 10 appearances for the club, notching two assists and no goals.
Olesz, who hadn’t played in the NHL since 2011-12, inked a deal with New Jersey right at the start of July’s free agency period, agreeing to a one-year, $1 million deal after being bought out by the Blackhawks during the compliance window.
(Should be noted $300,000 of the $1 million deal was a signing bonus contingent upon games played. It’s unclear how many Olesz needed to attain the bonus.)
The seventh overall pick at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Olesz looked like he was on his way to a productive career following two solid seasons in Florida under current Devils head coach Peter DeBoer. Olesz scored a career-high 14 goals in 2009-10, then posted 17 points in 44 games during an injury-shortened 2010-11 campaign.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 13
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 26
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 25
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 56
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)