Nov 20, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Rostislav Olesz era in New Jersey is over and, suffice to say, it won’t be remembered fondly.
The Czech forward was placed on unconditional waivers Wednesday for the purpose of terminating his contract. According to the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Olesz will be suspended by the Devils and given his release, to facilitate his move to the Swiss league.
Olesz had already been placed on regular waivers but, with no takers, was assigned to AHL Albany. The Devils opted to waive the 28-year-old after he made just 10 appearances for the club, notching two assists and no goals.
Olesz, who hadn’t played in the NHL since 2011-12, inked a deal with New Jersey right at the start of July’s free agency period, agreeing to a one-year, $1 million deal after being bought out by the Blackhawks during the compliance window.
(Should be noted $300,000 of the $1 million deal was a signing bonus contingent upon games played. It’s unclear how many Olesz needed to attain the bonus.)
The seventh overall pick at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Olesz looked like he was on his way to a productive career following two solid seasons in Florida under current Devils head coach Peter DeBoer. Olesz scored a career-high 14 goals in 2009-10, then posted 17 points in 44 games during an injury-shortened 2010-11 campaign.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 0
- Avs’ Parenteau (knee) likely out for remainder of regular season, playoffs unclear 0
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 14
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 17
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)