Nov 20, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
The Rostislav Olesz era in New Jersey is over and, suffice to say, it won’t be remembered fondly.
The Czech forward was placed on unconditional waivers Wednesday for the purpose of terminating his contract. According to the New Jersey Star-Ledger, Olesz will be suspended by the Devils and given his release, to facilitate his move to the Swiss league.
Olesz had already been placed on regular waivers but, with no takers, was assigned to AHL Albany. The Devils opted to waive the 28-year-old after he made just 10 appearances for the club, notching two assists and no goals.
Olesz, who hadn’t played in the NHL since 2011-12, inked a deal with New Jersey right at the start of July’s free agency period, agreeing to a one-year, $1 million deal after being bought out by the Blackhawks during the compliance window.
(Should be noted $300,000 of the $1 million deal was a signing bonus contingent upon games played. It’s unclear how many Olesz needed to attain the bonus.)
The seventh overall pick at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, Olesz looked like he was on his way to a productive career following two solid seasons in Florida under current Devils head coach Peter DeBoer. Olesz scored a career-high 14 goals in 2009-10, then posted 17 points in 44 games during an injury-shortened 2010-11 campaign.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)