Avs bust slump in big way, top ‘Hawks 5-1

Nov 20, 2013, 12:23 AM EDT

Semyon Varlamov and the Colorado Avalanche ended their slump in a big way on Tuesday, topping the Chicago Blackhawks 5-1.

Varlamov got his 10th win of 2013-14, stopping 36 out of 37 shots. The Avalanche scored by committee, as John Mitchell, Paul Stastny, Cody McLeod, P.A. Parenteau and Gabriel Landeskog provided the goals.

While Colorado ended a three-game losing streak, the Blackhawks started off their seven-game “circus” road trip in a bad way. Corey Crawford was chased from the net, opening the door for Antti Raanta to get a little playing time (albeit under less-than-ideal circumstances).

Does this mean that the Avalanche are OK after all? And are the Blackhawks in for a fall of their own with this challenging trip? You know what to do in the comments.

1. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM

“Blackhawks get reality check in statement win by Avalanche.”

• blackhawksdynasty - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

A pi$$ poor effort by Chicago is far from a wake up call. Every team plays some really good games and some really bad games. “Statement wins” don’t happen in November. Wait for the Avs to (maybe) make the playoffs before you start with the “statement win” garbage. One team played hard, the other didn’t. Simple as that.

• mp1131211 - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Blackhawks just had a blow out a few nights ago. Statements are made all year round. Avs pounded them. Blackhawks looked like peewee’s out there without Hossa

• comeonnowguys - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The big question is: Once St. Louis loses in the first round, are you going to hop back off the bandwagon and return to the the nowhere from which you magically appeared this fall?

• imnotyourbuddyguy - Nov 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Exactly like 90% of Blackhawk fans magically appeared 4 years ago?

• comeonnowguys - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Mine was being specific. Yours is a lazy generalization. But thanks anyway.

2. jernster21 - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM

The controversial “the world is ending” articles are getting annoying. Whether it’s the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, the surprising Avalanche or any other team in the league, there are good games and bad games, there are slumps and winning streaks. It’s a freakin sport, anything can happen on any given night. Now that the Avs beat down the Blackhawks the ‘are the Avs for real?’ articles can start now………

If there’s a story to be told it’s how good the Western Conference is in comparison to the Eastern Conference – ie: going into this game the Avs were in 8th place in the Western conference with 5 regulation losses. 9 games above .500! Now that’s crazy. Seven western conference teams with 30+ points, eastern conference: 0.

• polegojim - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Beautiful response by the Avs.

Last night WAS a statement game… but not as most are thinking.

The STATEMENT was that the young Avs finally have a Coach and staff who has helped them grow up between the ears, as much as with their hockey skills.

Great job!

• polegojim - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Agreed Jern… it’s a tough, tough conf. Great to see.

3. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Judging by he last paragraph, I’m pretty sure he realized that his previous articles kinda blew up in his face…

4. hammerhead5573 - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Ever notice the same ladies sprinting to their computer or whatever they use after a Hawks loss just to make a complete arse of themselves. Yet accuse Hawks fans of everything under the sun if we don’t bow down to the team that won. I mean seriously, look at the first comment here and you see that guy at or near the top of any comments after a Hawks loss. It’s ok little fella the Blues might win something significant one day, maybe. Redwings fans have more class in 1 finger than some of you idiots do in your whole body. You are so easy to peg, its called Hawk envy.

Now to the educated fans. The Avs played exactly the way they should have an won. Kudos. I would not consider this a statement win nor would I have if the Avs had lost. The last time I checked real statement wins happen to close out a series in the playoffs, not 1/4 into the season.

• blackhawksdynasty - Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Exactly ^^^

5. indianhead1992 - Nov 20, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Those comments saying “piss poor effort” and “looked like peewee hockey” obviously didn’t watch the game or don’t understand hockey. Hawks came out strong on that first PP but Crawford and the D had a bad 4 minutes that made the game 3-0. Tonight the Hawks had a lot of shots and puck possession but the wife beater had a great night. #1 was the best player on the ice and Hawks were out right beat by the goalie. As a hawks fan you have to tip your hat to that crazy russian and just get a W against the Jets. The score does not resemble the effort the Hawks put in tonight.

• blackhawksdynasty - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:11 PM

@indianhead
      Assuming the 1992 in your name is your year of birth, my Hawks season tickets are older than you. I’ve watched and played longer than you’ve been alive. You’re a fool to say anybody else doesn’t “understand hockey”
      Last night’s effort was PI$$ POOR. Sloppy puck handling, missed assignments and simply not being in sync with one another.
      Varlamov played a great game and the Avs have an explosive offense. Sometimes Chicago simply doesn’t show up for games. It happens – just accept it.

• indianhead1992 - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

@blackhawkdynasty
        You have had season tickets longer than I have been alive does not mean you know more about hockey then I do. I play college hockey and have been playing since I was 5 years old. I watch all day every day with my Gamecenter Live package. If you watch Kris Versteeg’s interview after the game he said the same thing (paraphrasing) “we had a bad 6 minutes or so of bad turnovers and decision making. We dominated most of the game but their goalie had a great night.”

Stats from last nights game:
        CHI COL
        Shots: 37 23
        FO’s: 30 21

Explain to me of that is a piss poor effort on the road against Colorado? My 16 years of hockey playing/watching out does your 21+ years of season ticket holding. Just accept that you are wrong….

• blackhawksdynasty - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM

@1992
        Lmfao…..Ok kid, whatever you say.
        Lesson #1: stats don’t tell the story.
        Watch the game again on your little phone and pay attention this time
        Typical kid who thinks he knows it all….

6. muckleflugga - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:07 AM

hammerhead5573

too right, but one of the hazards of riding a winning team’s bus is the stick you get when they lose…the real art is giving it back in kind, well done in that regard. and hey, canucks tanked in the shootout, so all is not lost [ who do think they are, the wings...talk about nerve ]

trust me, the beat down you get as a winner beats the hell of the slanging matches following forty six years of desperation…enjoy it while you can!

on a happier note, what’s up with corey…three goals on seven shots?

goalies have just got to be dialed-in in calgary and denver; puck travels quicker and visiting speedsters slower in the thinner air

7. phil4444phil - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Oh well. On to Winnipeg. http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/11/19/pardy-incident-inspires-helmet-party

• phil4444phil - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:10 AM

8. muckleflugga - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:23 AM

just saw the highlights, tough to blame crawford on any of those goals

snipers sniping

9. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Hammerhead, you can’t be that dense, can you? My comment had NOTHING to do with the Hawks losing. It was a sarcastic title for this article.

Just a couple days ago it was “Statement made? Blackhawks beat Sharks 5-1″ and then there was “Avalanche about to get reality check?” (After they lost to Blues and Panthers). Statement made after getting blown out by the Preds, and with 60 games to go? About to get a reality check because they had a few bad nights after dominating the first few weeks?

Obviously (to most people), I am poking fun at the writers and users that imply that there is some deep meaning to a win or loss at this stage in the season. Do you get the irony in this whole thing?

You people look for a reason to cry about “haters”, just so you can say “we just won the Cup”. Try comprehending something first. As I’ve said before, the mere mention of “The Blackhawks” sends fans like you into a blind rage, even when there’s nothing to be mad about. Get over yourself and let me know if you need me to clear anything else up for you…

P.S. I don’t run to my computer. There’s an app for that.

• hammerhead5573 - Nov 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Rage? really where is that rage you speak of? It takes much more than some comments on PHT to put me in a rage, but nice try. And by the way I love how you cherry pick comments too, laughable

Let me say this slowly so you can understand I simply stated some such as yourself are the first one to post something after a Hawk loss. And my guess is you are hitting refresh as often as posible to be that first one. How many times are you seeing that on any Blues loss from a Hawks fan Yet again, if any Hawk fan does not bow down to the other team, we are all of a sudden badwagon, classless, cry babys and everything you specifically have used. There certainly is no reaon to have realy look for any coments from you, you have more post’s than anyone whos feelings get bent out of shape because someone is refuting you.

Lets get to the “obvious” word you used. Based on the posts I have seen from you and the reaction you get, it is obvious the majority of the people do not agree with your logic. But please keep posting it’s fun to state the obvious with so called fans like you.

10. comeonnowguys - Nov 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Good win by the Avs. Crawford looks tired at exactly the wrong time (4 games in six days).

Khabi signing looking not so good right now. That’s ok, Bowman is human, too.

11. hammerhead5573 - Nov 20, 2013 at 12:27 PM

90%?????? wow that’s a lot. And from what I see on TV a good deal of them show up at St Louis games…..in St Louis. Doesn’t say too much for the Blues does it. In fact didn’t they try to stop Hawk fans from buying tickets there? Bla, bla, bla

12. hammerhead5573 - Nov 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Ok last comment by me because even I can admit I have said enough. I don’t know the age of anyone on the boards nor do I know long they have been a fan of their team. In all honesty what difference does it make if you have been a fan since 1982 like me or if it’s just last year? It is realistic to say we are all passionate about our team. Does it make one fan base cry baby’s or whatever? No. Things get lost in translation all the time. With that said it great to have passion for your team, it’s another to constantly insult the entire fan base due to 1 knucklehead here and there. Going to be an interesting playoffs this year. Go Hawks

13. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Hammerhead, had you read some articles besides the ones about your Hawks, you would’ve seen me and other users making fun of the writers. I’m a fan of hockey, and I comment on articles that pique my interest. You obviously have tunnel vision, and think everything has to be about your team.

You Blackhawks fans are more than welcome to attend games at Scottrade. I was at the last one and it made the victory that much sweeter. Majority of your fans acting like Neanderthals before and during the game, and then acting like their puppy died at the conclusion. If they start a “Let’s Go Blackhawks” chant during the National Anthem next time, I may not be able to keep my 3 buddies from beating the crap out of them. For some reason, servicemen aren’t very fond if that…

• blackhawksdynasty - Nov 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Funny, the veterans honored before every Hawks home game never seem to be offended by the deafening cheering during the Star Spangled Banner. Bring your 3 buddies to the Madhouse on Madison and let them try to beat the crap out of 21000 maniacal fans

14. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Deafening cheering is a little different than a section of drunk idiots yelling “let’s go Blackhawks”. You cheer for the anthem or sing along- you don’t take it as an opportunity to start a team chant in the opposing team’s stadium.

15. jhaegs - Nov 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Then again, you guys also rip helmets off players, so it should be expected… :)

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches