Nov 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
What helped settle him down? A few words from an old friend as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shares.
“It wasn’t going right, and I got a nice text from Mike Richards. … I think he gave me a boost to relax and play the game,” Giroux told NHL.com on Tuesday prior to playing the Ottawa Senators at Wells Fargo Center. “It’s a great game. There’s a reason why we play in the NHL. It’s because we know what we’re doing. It’s just about going back to basics, going out there, have fun, play the game.”
Richards was a teammate of Giroux’s in Philadelphia before he was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. So how has he done since getting Richards’ text? Not bad. Two goals and three assists and the Flyers have won four out of their last five games.
Perhaps once Richards’ playing days are over with he can start a motivational text message business. Who couldn’t use a verbal kick in the pants every now and then?
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 27
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)