Nov 20, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
What helped settle him down? A few words from an old friend as Dan Rosen of NHL.com shares.
“It wasn’t going right, and I got a nice text from Mike Richards. … I think he gave me a boost to relax and play the game,” Giroux told NHL.com on Tuesday prior to playing the Ottawa Senators at Wells Fargo Center. “It’s a great game. There’s a reason why we play in the NHL. It’s because we know what we’re doing. It’s just about going back to basics, going out there, have fun, play the game.”
Richards was a teammate of Giroux’s in Philadelphia before he was traded to the Los Angeles Kings. So how has he done since getting Richards’ text? Not bad. Two goals and three assists and the Flyers have won four out of their last five games.
Perhaps once Richards’ playing days are over with he can start a motivational text message business. Who couldn’t use a verbal kick in the pants every now and then?
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 3
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 8
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 5
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2