Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
Sabres head coach Ted Nolan hinted yesterday that some roster changes could be on the horizon. Today, the changes started taking place.
From the Buffalo News:
Buffalo has started its mornings skate, and 19-year-old Mikhail Grigorenko is gone along with rookies Rasmus Ristolainen, Johan Larsson, Nikita Zadorov. Though no official word has come from the Sabres, sources say Ristolainen and Larsson have been sent to Rochester.
Zadorov is on his way to London of the Ontario Hockey League. Because he didn’t play 10 games — the NHL’s teenage tryout limit — the first year of his entry-level contract did not kick in.
Grigorenko’s situation is a bit trickier. While he can still be sent back to junior, his QMJHL team, the Quebec Remparts, already has two imports, and it’s not allowed any more. That means a trade will need to occur, either sending Grigorenko, or another import, to a different club.
No word yet who’s coming up from the AHL. Forward Luke Adam and d-man Brayden McNabb are two candidates. A third candidate is…
Update 11:39 a.m. ET
Grigorenko has been assigned to AHL Rochester on a conditioning stint, the Sabres announced.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)