Nov 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators are one of the “five or six” teams who might be interested in trading for struggling New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun.
The Senators are in search of their identity, but more specifically, a puck-moving blueliner would be nice.
Del Zotto, 23, has had his ups and downs with New York, drawing praise for his offensive output and criticism for his work in the defensive end. He has a 37 and 41-point season on his resume, but has also been -20 before in his career.*
Ottawa parted ways with an older (and probably superior) version of Del Zotto in Sergei Gonchar this past summer, so maybe vaunted Sens head coach Paul MacLean could bring the best out of MDZ?
It would be an interesting scenario, although right now it’s not even official that the two sides are talking about a trade.
* – Of course, he was +20 in 2011-12. So … you might want to take that stat with a grain of salt.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)