Nov 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are one of the “five or six” teams who might be interested in trading for struggling New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun.
The Senators are in search of their identity, but more specifically, a puck-moving blueliner would be nice.
Del Zotto, 23, has had his ups and downs with New York, drawing praise for his offensive output and criticism for his work in the defensive end. He has a 37 and 41-point season on his resume, but has also been -20 before in his career.*
Ottawa parted ways with an older (and probably superior) version of Del Zotto in Sergei Gonchar this past summer, so maybe vaunted Sens head coach Paul MacLean could bring the best out of MDZ?
It would be an interesting scenario, although right now it’s not even official that the two sides are talking about a trade.
* – Of course, he was +20 in 2011-12. So … you might want to take that stat with a grain of salt.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)