Nov 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
Is there a market for Martin Havlat?
Sure sounds like it.
According to Ottawa Sun sources, Senators GM Bryan Murray has talked to the Sharks about acquiring his former player — Havlat played in Ottawa from 2000-06 — but those same sources claim San Jose has also been approached by the New York Rangers, who also have interest.
Havlat missed the first part of this season recovering from groin surgery and made his season debut on Oct. 30, appearing in seven games before Sharks head coach Todd McLellan made him a healthy scratch vs. Edmonton last Friday.
“For Marty, he’s now played seven games. He’s through his so-called exhibition season,” McLellan said of the decision to drop Havlat from the lineup. “We’ve talked a lot about being patient with him, and letting him play his way into shape, and his timing, and all that stuff.
“We’ve done that. Now, it’s about results.”
Havlat got back in for Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago, but only played 14:15 and failed to record a single shot on goal.
The 32-year-old Czech has two years remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal and, according to CapGeek, does have a no-movement clause.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)