Nov 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Is there a market for Martin Havlat?
Sure sounds like it.
According to Ottawa Sun sources, Senators GM Bryan Murray has talked to the Sharks about acquiring his former player — Havlat played in Ottawa from 2000-06 — but those same sources claim San Jose has also been approached by the New York Rangers, who also have interest.
Havlat missed the first part of this season recovering from groin surgery and made his season debut on Oct. 30, appearing in seven games before Sharks head coach Todd McLellan made him a healthy scratch vs. Edmonton last Friday.
“For Marty, he’s now played seven games. He’s through his so-called exhibition season,” McLellan said of the decision to drop Havlat from the lineup. “We’ve talked a lot about being patient with him, and letting him play his way into shape, and his timing, and all that stuff.
“We’ve done that. Now, it’s about results.”
Havlat got back in for Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago, but only played 14:15 and failed to record a single shot on goal.
The 32-year-old Czech has two years remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal and, according to CapGeek, does have a no-movement clause.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)