Nov 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Is there a market for Martin Havlat?
Sure sounds like it.
According to Ottawa Sun sources, Senators GM Bryan Murray has talked to the Sharks about acquiring his former player — Havlat played in Ottawa from 2000-06 — but those same sources claim San Jose has also been approached by the New York Rangers, who also have interest.
Havlat missed the first part of this season recovering from groin surgery and made his season debut on Oct. 30, appearing in seven games before Sharks head coach Todd McLellan made him a healthy scratch vs. Edmonton last Friday.
“For Marty, he’s now played seven games. He’s through his so-called exhibition season,” McLellan said of the decision to drop Havlat from the lineup. “We’ve talked a lot about being patient with him, and letting him play his way into shape, and his timing, and all that stuff.
“We’ve done that. Now, it’s about results.”
Havlat got back in for Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago, but only played 14:15 and failed to record a single shot on goal.
The 32-year-old Czech has two years remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal and, according to CapGeek, does have a no-movement clause.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)