Nov 19, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Is there a market for Martin Havlat?
Sure sounds like it.
According to Ottawa Sun sources, Senators GM Bryan Murray has talked to the Sharks about acquiring his former player — Havlat played in Ottawa from 2000-06 — but those same sources claim San Jose has also been approached by the New York Rangers, who also have interest.
Havlat missed the first part of this season recovering from groin surgery and made his season debut on Oct. 30, appearing in seven games before Sharks head coach Todd McLellan made him a healthy scratch vs. Edmonton last Friday.
“For Marty, he’s now played seven games. He’s through his so-called exhibition season,” McLellan said of the decision to drop Havlat from the lineup. “We’ve talked a lot about being patient with him, and letting him play his way into shape, and his timing, and all that stuff.
“We’ve done that. Now, it’s about results.”
Havlat got back in for Sunday’s 5-1 loss to Chicago, but only played 14:15 and failed to record a single shot on goal.
The 32-year-old Czech has two years remaining on his six-year, $30 million deal and, according to CapGeek, does have a no-movement clause.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)