Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Now that head coach Craig Berube seems to be settling in, one cannot help but imagine GM Paul Holmgren and the rest of the Philadelphia Flyers getting itchy to make another move. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that such a hypothetical deal could very well include Brayden Schenn. (Video here.)
To clarify, Dreger didn’t say that the Flyers are shopping him heavily or are desperate to move him by any means. Still, if it means landing the blockbuster-type swap that Philly is addicted to, it sounds like they’d be open-minded.
Berube told CSNPhilly.com last week that the fairly hyped first-rounder might be turning a corner, and the numbers bare that out; he has a solid 12 points in 19 games and is throwing his body around like a Flyers forward is expected to (49 hits already).
Still, the 22-year-old will be a restricted free agent this summer, so that potential breakthrough might present the kind of price tag that the Flyers aren’t too comfortable with. Or, if they’re merely not convinced that he’s a difference-maker, they might want to sell him when his value is high. (The latter scenario seems hard to imagine for such a young player, mind you.)
As Dreger notes, Brayden is the Schenn brother who’s having the most success, as Luke Schenn finds himself as a regular healthy scratch and uncomfortable reminder of the James van Riemsdyk trade. That being said, Brayden would certainly bring significantly higher value back in a hypothetical trade, so it makes sense that his name is floating out there.
Really, with the Flyers, it seems like most trade scenarios are at least remotely feasible, right?
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)