Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
Now that head coach Craig Berube seems to be settling in, one cannot help but imagine GM Paul Holmgren and the rest of the Philadelphia Flyers getting itchy to make another move. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that such a hypothetical deal could very well include Brayden Schenn. (Video here.)
To clarify, Dreger didn’t say that the Flyers are shopping him heavily or are desperate to move him by any means. Still, if it means landing the blockbuster-type swap that Philly is addicted to, it sounds like they’d be open-minded.
Berube told CSNPhilly.com last week that the fairly hyped first-rounder might be turning a corner, and the numbers bare that out; he has a solid 12 points in 19 games and is throwing his body around like a Flyers forward is expected to (49 hits already).
Still, the 22-year-old will be a restricted free agent this summer, so that potential breakthrough might present the kind of price tag that the Flyers aren’t too comfortable with. Or, if they’re merely not convinced that he’s a difference-maker, they might want to sell him when his value is high. (The latter scenario seems hard to imagine for such a young player, mind you.)
As Dreger notes, Brayden is the Schenn brother who’s having the most success, as Luke Schenn finds himself as a regular healthy scratch and uncomfortable reminder of the James van Riemsdyk trade. That being said, Brayden would certainly bring significantly higher value back in a hypothetical trade, so it makes sense that his name is floating out there.
Really, with the Flyers, it seems like most trade scenarios are at least remotely feasible, right?
Feb 28, 2015, 10:12 PM EST
Chicago also added Kimmo Timonen on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 PM EST
Arizona is threatening to drop to 29th in the NHL, which would be big as far as the draft lottery is concerned.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 PM EST
Philadelphia is trying to salvage its bid for a playoff spot.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:37 PM EST
A recent report suggests that Boston is interested.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:55 PM EST
He’s been released from the hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST
Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST
That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Was injured on a hit from Seth Jones.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
He’s being evaluated in hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 3
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 6
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 35
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)