Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
Now that head coach Craig Berube seems to be settling in, one cannot help but imagine GM Paul Holmgren and the rest of the Philadelphia Flyers getting itchy to make another move. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that such a hypothetical deal could very well include Brayden Schenn. (Video here.)
To clarify, Dreger didn’t say that the Flyers are shopping him heavily or are desperate to move him by any means. Still, if it means landing the blockbuster-type swap that Philly is addicted to, it sounds like they’d be open-minded.
Berube told CSNPhilly.com last week that the fairly hyped first-rounder might be turning a corner, and the numbers bare that out; he has a solid 12 points in 19 games and is throwing his body around like a Flyers forward is expected to (49 hits already).
Still, the 22-year-old will be a restricted free agent this summer, so that potential breakthrough might present the kind of price tag that the Flyers aren’t too comfortable with. Or, if they’re merely not convinced that he’s a difference-maker, they might want to sell him when his value is high. (The latter scenario seems hard to imagine for such a young player, mind you.)
As Dreger notes, Brayden is the Schenn brother who’s having the most success, as Luke Schenn finds himself as a regular healthy scratch and uncomfortable reminder of the James van Riemsdyk trade. That being said, Brayden would certainly bring significantly higher value back in a hypothetical trade, so it makes sense that his name is floating out there.
Really, with the Flyers, it seems like most trade scenarios are at least remotely feasible, right?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38