Nov 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
Now that head coach Craig Berube seems to be settling in, one cannot help but imagine GM Paul Holmgren and the rest of the Philadelphia Flyers getting itchy to make another move. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that such a hypothetical deal could very well include Brayden Schenn. (Video here.)
To clarify, Dreger didn’t say that the Flyers are shopping him heavily or are desperate to move him by any means. Still, if it means landing the blockbuster-type swap that Philly is addicted to, it sounds like they’d be open-minded.
Berube told CSNPhilly.com last week that the fairly hyped first-rounder might be turning a corner, and the numbers bare that out; he has a solid 12 points in 19 games and is throwing his body around like a Flyers forward is expected to (49 hits already).
Still, the 22-year-old will be a restricted free agent this summer, so that potential breakthrough might present the kind of price tag that the Flyers aren’t too comfortable with. Or, if they’re merely not convinced that he’s a difference-maker, they might want to sell him when his value is high. (The latter scenario seems hard to imagine for such a young player, mind you.)
As Dreger notes, Brayden is the Schenn brother who’s having the most success, as Luke Schenn finds himself as a regular healthy scratch and uncomfortable reminder of the James van Riemsdyk trade. That being said, Brayden would certainly bring significantly higher value back in a hypothetical trade, so it makes sense that his name is floating out there.
Really, with the Flyers, it seems like most trade scenarios are at least remotely feasible, right?
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54