Nov 19, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have dipped into their past to honor a franchise legend.
On Monday, Nov. 25, the club will officially unveil the Roger Neilson Memorial Press Box at the BB&T Center in Sunrise, Fla. Neilson was the first-ever head coach in Panthers history and, in the club’s inaugural season, led the team to 33 wins and 83 points, finishing fourth in Jack Adams voting for NHL coach of the year.
“We are humbled and honored to dedicate the BB&T Center press box in Roger Neilson’s name,” Panthers president and CEO Michael Yormark said in a statement. “He is a hockey legend, Hockey Hall of Fame Inductee and our organization’s first head coach.”
Florida partnered with Roger’s House in making this announcement. Roger’s House is an eight-bed palliative care facility at The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, created in part by the Ottawa Senators Foundation.
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 15
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 27
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 34
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)