Nov 19, 2013, 12:49 PM EDT
A couple of things made us write about this today.
First, there’s the player, and the team he’s on. Mike Cammalleri has nine goals in 14 games, and that’s pretty good. But the Flames are not good. At 7-11-3, they’re all but out of the playoff race in the Western Conference, and they’ve still got a lot of rebuilding to go. As in, multiple years of rebuilding.
Cammalleri, 31, is a pending unrestricted free agent. He’s said he’s “open” to signing an extension, but does he fit into the club’s plans?
Speaking of which, here’s ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun with the second reason we’re writing about Cammalleri today:
The Flames have massive cap space with the 27th-ranked payroll, and unlike most of the few other teams with cap space Calgary has the financial muscle to use it.
So the hope with the Flames is that at some point some cap-strung contenders are going to come calling with an offer to help alleviate their issues. That’s when the Flames want to jump at their chance. Can they glean a first-round pick or a top prospect in exchange for helping to fix another team’s cap issues via picking up an anchor contract?
Last night, TSN’s Craig Button wondered if the Canucks might have an interest in Cammalleri. Certainly Vancouver could use another scoring winger. The question is, would general manager Mike Gillis give up a first-round pick or top prospect to make it happen? Another question: would the Flames consider taking David Booth‘s contract and possibly using a compliance buyout on it this summer? We’re not so sure on either point, even if Gillis does happen to be Cammalleri’s former agent. But Vancouver’s just one team. There are plenty of other potential suitors.
Bottom line: Cammalleri’s cap hit is a big $6 million, and that kind of contract won’t be a cinch to move with so many teams right up against the upper limit. But let’s not forget the Flames could eat half of that $6 million to facilitate a trade. They’d just need another team to make it worth their while.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)