Nov 19, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New York Rangers host the Boston Bruins at Madison Square Garden at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Rangers have rebounded from their 3-7-0 start, but they’re far from out of the woods. They have found the back of the net just three times in their last three games and rank near the bottom of the league with an average of just 2.1 goals per game.
Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $2,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $500. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
The Rangers might also catch a break by avoiding Tuukka Rask, who has been one of the NHL’s top goaltenders this season. Although nothing has been confirmed, Rask played in Carolina on Monday and the Bruins will face the St. Louis Blues on Thursday, so it wouldn’t be surprising if backup Chad Johnson picked up a rare start to avoid wearing out Rask.
Even if Nash returns and Rask warms the bench though, the Bruins will be a challenging opponent for the Rangers. For starters, Boston has successfully killed off its last 32 penalties, including Hurricanes’ 5-on-3 opportunity last night. The Bruins have also won five of their last six games to put them just one point shy of the Atlantic Division lead.
Boston ranks 10th in the league in goals per game, but in that regard their edge over the Rangers comes from their offensive depth. David Krejci has been cold lately, but Loui Eriksson is riding a six-game point streak. Brad Marchand has struggled to get anything going offensively this season, but 22-year-old Reilly Smith‘s sophomore season is off to a productive start. They’re a team that remains a threat even when some of their better players aren’t able to pull their weight.
Roughly a quarter of these two team’s seasons are in the books and it looks like the race for playoff spots will be as tight as ever. In the Atlantic Division, just eight points separates first and sixth place. In the Metropolitan Division, the gap between first and sixth is just seven points. They’ll need every edge they can get now to aide them in the battle for a postseason berth and seeding in April.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)