Nov 19, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the New York Rangers host the Boston Bruins at Madison Square Garden at 7:30 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Rangers have rebounded from their 3-7-0 start, but they’re far from out of the woods. They have found the back of the net just three times in their last three games and rank near the bottom of the league with an average of just 2.1 goals per game.
Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $2,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $500. Starts at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
The Rangers might also catch a break by avoiding Tuukka Rask, who has been one of the NHL’s top goaltenders this season. Although nothing has been confirmed, Rask played in Carolina on Monday and the Bruins will face the St. Louis Blues on Thursday, so it wouldn’t be surprising if backup Chad Johnson picked up a rare start to avoid wearing out Rask.
Even if Nash returns and Rask warms the bench though, the Bruins will be a challenging opponent for the Rangers. For starters, Boston has successfully killed off its last 32 penalties, including Hurricanes’ 5-on-3 opportunity last night. The Bruins have also won five of their last six games to put them just one point shy of the Atlantic Division lead.
Boston ranks 10th in the league in goals per game, but in that regard their edge over the Rangers comes from their offensive depth. David Krejci has been cold lately, but Loui Eriksson is riding a six-game point streak. Brad Marchand has struggled to get anything going offensively this season, but 22-year-old Reilly Smith‘s sophomore season is off to a productive start. They’re a team that remains a threat even when some of their better players aren’t able to pull their weight.
Roughly a quarter of these two team’s seasons are in the books and it looks like the race for playoff spots will be as tight as ever. In the Atlantic Division, just eight points separates first and sixth place. In the Metropolitan Division, the gap between first and sixth is just seven points. They’ll need every edge they can get now to aide them in the battle for a postseason berth and seeding in April.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)