Nov 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
An interesting tidbit from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. “The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was … If it’s something where we’ve tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed.” That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.
Myers, 23, is still fighting to rediscover the form that made him the NHL’s rookie of the year in 2009-10. In 22 games this season, he has just one goal and four assists. But despite those struggles, he remains a tantalizing talent, so it’s not surprising to hear he’ll be given time “under the new regime.”
Myers is signed through 2018-19 with a cap hit of $5.5 million. If the Sabres ever do get to the point where “maybe a change is what is needed” (translation: a trade), it’s worth pointing out his salary falls as the front-loaded contract progresses. In the last year of the deal, for example, he’ll be paid just $3 million.
As for potential destinations, it’s probably too early to speculate. But we’ll go ahead and link to this post about Edmonton’s desire to add a “big, stud defenseman” anyway.
Related: Tyler Myers is under pressure
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)