Nov 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
An interesting tidbit from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. “The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was … If it’s something where we’ve tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed.” That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.
Myers, 23, is still fighting to rediscover the form that made him the NHL’s rookie of the year in 2009-10. In 22 games this season, he has just one goal and four assists. But despite those struggles, he remains a tantalizing talent, so it’s not surprising to hear he’ll be given time “under the new regime.”
Myers is signed through 2018-19 with a cap hit of $5.5 million. If the Sabres ever do get to the point where “maybe a change is what is needed” (translation: a trade), it’s worth pointing out his salary falls as the front-loaded contract progresses. In the last year of the deal, for example, he’ll be paid just $3 million.
As for potential destinations, it’s probably too early to speculate. But we’ll go ahead and link to this post about Edmonton’s desire to add a “big, stud defenseman” anyway.
Related: Tyler Myers is under pressure
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)