Nov 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
An interesting tidbit from the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman in his weekly “30 Thoughts” column:
Asked about the struggles of Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers, Pat LaFontaine brought up how the New York Islanders gave up on Zdeno Chara too early. “The thing that encourages me is that [Myers has] already proven what he can do. We need to create the environment so that he has everything he needs to go back where he was … If it’s something where we’ve tried everything to give him that environment [yet fails], then maybe a change is what is needed.” That said, Lafontaine stressed Myers will be given time under the new regime.
Myers, 23, is still fighting to rediscover the form that made him the NHL’s rookie of the year in 2009-10. In 22 games this season, he has just one goal and four assists. But despite those struggles, he remains a tantalizing talent, so it’s not surprising to hear he’ll be given time “under the new regime.”
Myers is signed through 2018-19 with a cap hit of $5.5 million. If the Sabres ever do get to the point where “maybe a change is what is needed” (translation: a trade), it’s worth pointing out his salary falls as the front-loaded contract progresses. In the last year of the deal, for example, he’ll be paid just $3 million.
As for potential destinations, it’s probably too early to speculate. But we’ll go ahead and link to this post about Edmonton’s desire to add a “big, stud defenseman” anyway.
Related: Tyler Myers is under pressure
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 2
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 28
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)