Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Michael Grabner‘s tough campaign looks like it’s about to get even tougher.
Grabner, the speedy Isles winger, appears to be a healthy scratch for tonight’s contest against Toronto, according to Newsday.
Update: He’s out, as per head coach Jack Capuano.
The 26-year-old Austrian — who’s scored 70 goals in three seasons with the Isles — has just two tallies through 19 games this year and is only averaging 14:35 TOI per game, his lowest since joining the team. He’s also missed a pair of games to suspension for an illegal check to the head of Carolina’s Nathan Gerbe and is currently mired in an awful slump, having failed to score a point in 12 games.
(What’s more, Grabner hasn’t found the back of the net in 18 straight. Both his goals this year came in a season-opening victory over the Devils.)
Vanek is definitely out, according to Newsday, and Grabner didn’t even take regular line rushes with the team during the morning skate — further suggesting he’ll be out of the lineup tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)