Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Michael Grabner‘s tough campaign looks like it’s about to get even tougher.
Grabner, the speedy Isles winger, appears to be a healthy scratch for tonight’s contest against Toronto, according to Newsday.
Update: He’s out, as per head coach Jack Capuano.
The 26-year-old Austrian — who’s scored 70 goals in three seasons with the Isles — has just two tallies through 19 games this year and is only averaging 14:35 TOI per game, his lowest since joining the team. He’s also missed a pair of games to suspension for an illegal check to the head of Carolina’s Nathan Gerbe and is currently mired in an awful slump, having failed to score a point in 12 games.
(What’s more, Grabner hasn’t found the back of the net in 18 straight. Both his goals this year came in a season-opening victory over the Devils.)
Vanek is definitely out, according to Newsday, and Grabner didn’t even take regular line rushes with the team during the morning skate — further suggesting he’ll be out of the lineup tonight.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)