Nov 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
Michael Grabner‘s tough campaign looks like it’s about to get even tougher.
Grabner, the speedy Isles winger, appears to be a healthy scratch for tonight’s contest against Toronto, according to Newsday.
Update: He’s out, as per head coach Jack Capuano.
The 26-year-old Austrian — who’s scored 70 goals in three seasons with the Isles — has just two tallies through 19 games this year and is only averaging 14:35 TOI per game, his lowest since joining the team. He’s also missed a pair of games to suspension for an illegal check to the head of Carolina’s Nathan Gerbe and is currently mired in an awful slump, having failed to score a point in 12 games.
(What’s more, Grabner hasn’t found the back of the net in 18 straight. Both his goals this year came in a season-opening victory over the Devils.)
Vanek is definitely out, according to Newsday, and Grabner didn’t even take regular line rushes with the team during the morning skate — further suggesting he’ll be out of the lineup tonight.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)