Nov 19, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
The Flyers’ penalty kill got caught out of position a couple of times during Friday’s 3-2 shootout loss in Winnipeg. However, what happened versus the Jets doesn’t mean we’ll see a more patient or cautious approach should Philadelphia go shorthanded versus Ottawa tonight.
“That’s part of the point of being the penalty killers — you want to get pressure, not let them have ice, not let them set up and make plays,” Flyers forward Matt Read said, per CSN Philly. “You want to keep them to the outside and try to be on them as quick as you can. As soon as there is a fumbled puck, get on them and try to create pressure.”
The first Jets’ power-play goal, by Dustin Byfuglien, was mostly a matter of getting caught on a poor line change.
On the second goal, also by Byfuglien, Flyers forward Adam Hall may have been guilty of over-pursuing the puck-carrier, opening up the big shot from the point.
“[Hall] was close, but not close enough there,” said Philly head coach Craig Berube. “Sometimes that’s just the way it goes on the penalty kill.”
Overall, the Flyers’ PK has been decent, ranking 13th in the NHL (83.1%). It’s the power play that’s been their biggest special-teams problem. Even after scoring four times with the man advantage in the last three games, the unit still ranks a lowly 24th (13.9%).
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 26
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 12
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 29
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 56
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (60)