Nov 19, 2013, 9:17 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs forward David Clarkson was suspended for the first 10 games of the season because he left the bench during a preseason contest to participate in a fight. He’s played in 10 contests since returning and hasn’t scored a single goal.
Not exactly an ideal start to his tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I wasn’t brought here to score 50 goals,” Clarskon told TSN. “I was brought here for that full game that I bring, competing every night.”
Certainly, a big part of Clarskon’s appeal comes from the fact that he plays a complete game, but complete is the key word there. You don’t sign a player that brings heart and grit alone to a seven-year, $36.75 million contract. The 29-year-old’s goal-scoring touch is just one facet of his game, but it had to have been a meaningful factor when his value was determined over the summer.
That being said, goal scorers can be streaky and the sample size is still small.
“We think that David Clarkson has got a lot to offer to our hockey club and he’s had his fair share of chances,” said coach Randy Carlyle. “He’s a little bit snake-bitten, but if he continues to go to the net the way he’s been going and we continue to drive that middle lane and get pucks directed around him he’ll score some goals for us. We believe that.”
Perhaps he’ll catch a break tonight against the New York Islanders.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)