Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We wouldn’t be talking about this today if Alex Burrows had scored instead of hitting the post…
And Kari Lehtonen hadn’t been so good…
And if the referees hadn’t botched a call.
But the fact remains, the Vancouver Canucks lost again Sunday evening, falling 2-1 at home to Dallas despite outshooting the Stars, 43-23.
For the Canucks, it was the third straight time they’d outshot an opponent and failed to get the two points. Vancouver, currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference, has just four goals in its last four games — none of them victories — for an abnormally low shooting percentage of 2.9 over that stretch.
According to captain Henrik Sedin, the Canucks’ puck luck is bound to turn around.
“We can’t lose faith in what we’re doing here,” said Sedin, per the Globe and Mail. “Pucks are going to go in for us – we know that.”
Head coach John Tortorella agrees; this morning, he said the plan was to keep “putting pucks onto the net” when the Canucks host Florida tonight.
But despite the faith that Sedin and Tortorella are keeping, there are those who believe the Canucks need to add a sniper (see: our post on Mike Cammalleri) who can actually finish chances, as opposed to simply “putting pucks onto the net.”
Vancouver has a couple of good chances to get wins this week, with Florida in town tonight and Columbus on Friday. Chances, of course, need to be finished. And that’s been the Canucks’ problem.
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 16
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 86
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 34
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 32
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (86)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)