Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We wouldn’t be talking about this today if Alex Burrows had scored instead of hitting the post…
And Kari Lehtonen hadn’t been so good…
And if the referees hadn’t botched a call.
But the fact remains, the Vancouver Canucks lost again Sunday evening, falling 2-1 at home to Dallas despite outshooting the Stars, 43-23.
For the Canucks, it was the third straight time they’d outshot an opponent and failed to get the two points. Vancouver, currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference, has just four goals in its last four games — none of them victories — for an abnormally low shooting percentage of 2.9 over that stretch.
According to captain Henrik Sedin, the Canucks’ puck luck is bound to turn around.
“We can’t lose faith in what we’re doing here,” said Sedin, per the Globe and Mail. “Pucks are going to go in for us – we know that.”
Head coach John Tortorella agrees; this morning, he said the plan was to keep “putting pucks onto the net” when the Canucks host Florida tonight.
But despite the faith that Sedin and Tortorella are keeping, there are those who believe the Canucks need to add a sniper (see: our post on Mike Cammalleri) who can actually finish chances, as opposed to simply “putting pucks onto the net.”
Vancouver has a couple of good chances to get wins this week, with Florida in town tonight and Columbus on Friday. Chances, of course, need to be finished. And that’s been the Canucks’ problem.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 15
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 28
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)