Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We wouldn’t be talking about this today if Alex Burrows had scored instead of hitting the post…
And Kari Lehtonen hadn’t been so good…
And if the referees hadn’t botched a call.
But the fact remains, the Vancouver Canucks lost again Sunday evening, falling 2-1 at home to Dallas despite outshooting the Stars, 43-23.
For the Canucks, it was the third straight time they’d outshot an opponent and failed to get the two points. Vancouver, currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference, has just four goals in its last four games — none of them victories — for an abnormally low shooting percentage of 2.9 over that stretch.
According to captain Henrik Sedin, the Canucks’ puck luck is bound to turn around.
“We can’t lose faith in what we’re doing here,” said Sedin, per the Globe and Mail. “Pucks are going to go in for us – we know that.”
Head coach John Tortorella agrees; this morning, he said the plan was to keep “putting pucks onto the net” when the Canucks host Florida tonight.
But despite the faith that Sedin and Tortorella are keeping, there are those who believe the Canucks need to add a sniper (see: our post on Mike Cammalleri) who can actually finish chances, as opposed to simply “putting pucks onto the net.”
Vancouver has a couple of good chances to get wins this week, with Florida in town tonight and Columbus on Friday. Chances, of course, need to be finished. And that’s been the Canucks’ problem.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)