Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
We wouldn’t be talking about this today if Alex Burrows had scored instead of hitting the post…
And Kari Lehtonen hadn’t been so good…
And if the referees hadn’t botched a call.
But the fact remains, the Vancouver Canucks lost again Sunday evening, falling 2-1 at home to Dallas despite outshooting the Stars, 43-23.
For the Canucks, it was the third straight time they’d outshot an opponent and failed to get the two points. Vancouver, currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference, has just four goals in its last four games — none of them victories — for an abnormally low shooting percentage of 2.9 over that stretch.
According to captain Henrik Sedin, the Canucks’ puck luck is bound to turn around.
“We can’t lose faith in what we’re doing here,” said Sedin, per the Globe and Mail. “Pucks are going to go in for us – we know that.”
Head coach John Tortorella agrees; this morning, he said the plan was to keep “putting pucks onto the net” when the Canucks host Florida tonight.
But despite the faith that Sedin and Tortorella are keeping, there are those who believe the Canucks need to add a sniper (see: our post on Mike Cammalleri) who can actually finish chances, as opposed to simply “putting pucks onto the net.”
Vancouver has a couple of good chances to get wins this week, with Florida in town tonight and Columbus on Friday. Chances, of course, need to be finished. And that’s been the Canucks’ problem.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)