Nov 19, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
We wouldn’t be talking about this today if Alex Burrows had scored instead of hitting the post…
And Kari Lehtonen hadn’t been so good…
And if the referees hadn’t botched a call.
But the fact remains, the Vancouver Canucks lost again Sunday evening, falling 2-1 at home to Dallas despite outshooting the Stars, 43-23.
For the Canucks, it was the third straight time they’d outshot an opponent and failed to get the two points. Vancouver, currently out of a playoff position in the Western Conference, has just four goals in its last four games — none of them victories — for an abnormally low shooting percentage of 2.9 over that stretch.
According to captain Henrik Sedin, the Canucks’ puck luck is bound to turn around.
“We can’t lose faith in what we’re doing here,” said Sedin, per the Globe and Mail. “Pucks are going to go in for us – we know that.”
Head coach John Tortorella agrees; this morning, he said the plan was to keep “putting pucks onto the net” when the Canucks host Florida tonight.
But despite the faith that Sedin and Tortorella are keeping, there are those who believe the Canucks need to add a sniper (see: our post on Mike Cammalleri) who can actually finish chances, as opposed to simply “putting pucks onto the net.”
Vancouver has a couple of good chances to get wins this week, with Florida in town tonight and Columbus on Friday. Chances, of course, need to be finished. And that’s been the Canucks’ problem.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (125)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)