Nov 19, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s time with the Philadelphia Flyers was filled with controversy, odd moments, and for the Flyers, frustration. He was described as a “costly mistake” by Flyers GM Paul Holmgren after serving just two seasons of his nine-year, $51 million contract.
He was bought out and went unsigned over the summer, but he’s with the Edmonton Oilers now. Through his tumultuous times in Philadelphia, Bryzgalov claims he didn’t doubt himself and he’s not angry. He doesn’t even see this as a second chance for him.
“I never lost my first chance, you know,” he told the Edmonton Journal.
All the same, the 33-year-old goaltender wants to move past that part of his career.
“I am just glad to be back in the NHL, to get this opportunity with the Edmonton organization,” Bryzgalov said.
It helps that his new coach, Dallas Eakins, doesn’t seem terribly concerned over Bryzgalov’s past.
“The main thing was did we (GM Craig MacTavish and the coaches) think he could stop the puck,” Eakins said.
Edmonton will play against Columbus tonight, which would theoretically make for a fun match between Bryzgalov and former teammate Sergei Bobrovsky. In practice though, it sounds like Devan Dubnyk will probably start for Edmonton.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)