Nov 19, 2013, 10:06 AM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov’s time with the Philadelphia Flyers was filled with controversy, odd moments, and for the Flyers, frustration. He was described as a “costly mistake” by Flyers GM Paul Holmgren after serving just two seasons of his nine-year, $51 million contract.
He was bought out and went unsigned over the summer, but he’s with the Edmonton Oilers now. Through his tumultuous times in Philadelphia, Bryzgalov claims he didn’t doubt himself and he’s not angry. He doesn’t even see this as a second chance for him.
“I never lost my first chance, you know,” he told the Edmonton Journal.
All the same, the 33-year-old goaltender wants to move past that part of his career.
“I am just glad to be back in the NHL, to get this opportunity with the Edmonton organization,” Bryzgalov said.
It helps that his new coach, Dallas Eakins, doesn’t seem terribly concerned over Bryzgalov’s past.
“The main thing was did we (GM Craig MacTavish and the coaches) think he could stop the puck,” Eakins said.
Edmonton will play against Columbus tonight, which would theoretically make for a fun match between Bryzgalov and former teammate Sergei Bobrovsky. In practice though, it sounds like Devan Dubnyk will probably start for Edmonton.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)