Nov 19, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
Adrian Aucoin has retired. The 40-year-old defenseman who played over 1,000 NHL games for Vancouver, Tampa Bay, New York (Islanders), Chicago, Calgary, Phoenix, and Columbus made the announcement today via an NHLPA press release.
“Having the opportunity to realize my childhood dream of playing in the NHL, and being able to have played professional hockey for 20 seasons, has been an incredible experience,” said Aucoin. “I really enjoyed playing with and against some of the best players in the game, and getting the chance to play in front of such great hockey fans. Thanks to my family, teammates, friends, fans and everyone in the hockey community who helped me in my career. I will look back on it with fondness and pride for the rest of my life.”
Aucoin never won a Stanley Cup; most of the teams he played for weren’t championship contenders. But he did experience a good postseason run in 2012 with the Phoenix Coyotes, who made it all the way to the Western Conference Final.
And as noted in the press release, at least he can say he scored his first career NHL goal on his first shot in his first regular-season game on May 3, 1995.
All in all, a pretty good career for a guy chosen 117th overall in 1992.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)