Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild continued to shuffle the backup goaltender deck on Monday, recalling Darcy Kuemper from AHL Iowa while sending Johan Gustafsson back.
Kuemper, 23, has made just one appearance for the Wild this season, allowing three goals on seven shots in a 4-1 loss to Toronto, a game in which he only lasted 32 minutes. But with Niklas Backstrom out with a concussion, the Wild need someone to back up Josh Harding — and that person, at least for now, appears to be Kuemper, though the Minnesota Star-Tribune isn’t ruling out the possibility of Wild GM Chuck Fletcher acquiring a more seasoned backup.
As for when Kuemper might make his second appearance of the year? The Wild set out today for a four-game road swing through Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and St. Louis. The Canadiens and Sens games are on back-to-back nights (Tuesday/Wednesday), and it sounds as though Kuemper will get the second half in Ottawa.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)