Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild continued to shuffle the backup goaltender deck on Monday, recalling Darcy Kuemper from AHL Iowa while sending Johan Gustafsson back.
Kuemper, 23, has made just one appearance for the Wild this season, allowing three goals on seven shots in a 4-1 loss to Toronto, a game in which he only lasted 32 minutes. But with Niklas Backstrom out with a concussion, the Wild need someone to back up Josh Harding — and that person, at least for now, appears to be Kuemper, though the Minnesota Star-Tribune isn’t ruling out the possibility of Wild GM Chuck Fletcher acquiring a more seasoned backup.
As for when Kuemper might make his second appearance of the year? The Wild set out today for a four-game road swing through Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and St. Louis. The Canadiens and Sens games are on back-to-back nights (Tuesday/Wednesday), and it sounds as though Kuemper will get the second half in Ottawa.
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 1
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal 5
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 29
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19