Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild continued to shuffle the backup goaltender deck on Monday, recalling Darcy Kuemper from AHL Iowa while sending Johan Gustafsson back.
Kuemper, 23, has made just one appearance for the Wild this season, allowing three goals on seven shots in a 4-1 loss to Toronto, a game in which he only lasted 32 minutes. But with Niklas Backstrom out with a concussion, the Wild need someone to back up Josh Harding — and that person, at least for now, appears to be Kuemper, though the Minnesota Star-Tribune isn’t ruling out the possibility of Wild GM Chuck Fletcher acquiring a more seasoned backup.
As for when Kuemper might make his second appearance of the year? The Wild set out today for a four-game road swing through Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and St. Louis. The Canadiens and Sens games are on back-to-back nights (Tuesday/Wednesday), and it sounds as though Kuemper will get the second half in Ottawa.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7