Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild continued to shuffle the backup goaltender deck on Monday, recalling Darcy Kuemper from AHL Iowa while sending Johan Gustafsson back.
Kuemper, 23, has made just one appearance for the Wild this season, allowing three goals on seven shots in a 4-1 loss to Toronto, a game in which he only lasted 32 minutes. But with Niklas Backstrom out with a concussion, the Wild need someone to back up Josh Harding — and that person, at least for now, appears to be Kuemper, though the Minnesota Star-Tribune isn’t ruling out the possibility of Wild GM Chuck Fletcher acquiring a more seasoned backup.
As for when Kuemper might make his second appearance of the year? The Wild set out today for a four-game road swing through Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and St. Louis. The Canadiens and Sens games are on back-to-back nights (Tuesday/Wednesday), and it sounds as though Kuemper will get the second half in Ottawa.
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 1
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 9
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 84
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 99
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)