Nov 18, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild continued to shuffle the backup goaltender deck on Monday, recalling Darcy Kuemper from AHL Iowa while sending Johan Gustafsson back.
Kuemper, 23, has made just one appearance for the Wild this season, allowing three goals on seven shots in a 4-1 loss to Toronto, a game in which he only lasted 32 minutes. But with Niklas Backstrom out with a concussion, the Wild need someone to back up Josh Harding — and that person, at least for now, appears to be Kuemper, though the Minnesota Star-Tribune isn’t ruling out the possibility of Wild GM Chuck Fletcher acquiring a more seasoned backup.
As for when Kuemper might make his second appearance of the year? The Wild set out today for a four-game road swing through Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and St. Louis. The Canadiens and Sens games are on back-to-back nights (Tuesday/Wednesday), and it sounds as though Kuemper will get the second half in Ottawa.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)