Nov 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
For the most part, Tim Thomas seems like he’s kept quiet regarding his relationship with former 2011 Stanley Cup Final opposing goalie Roberto Luongo. When he does comment, it’s usually a “no harm done” type response.
He uttered that refrain on Monday, telling TEAM 1040’s Satiar Shah that he has “no animosity on his side” toward Luongo.
Thomas, 39, was being asked about Luongo because his Florida Panthers will face the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. (Thomas believes he’ll get the start tomorrow, though that’s not official.)
To give you a quick refresher on some of the high points of their rivalry/media kerfuffles, it started with Luongo claiming he would have stopped a game-winning goal Thomas gave up in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. The next day, Thomas memorably said he wasn’t interested in “pumping his tires.”
After that, it was all about the glorious Twitter feed of Luongo, 34. The two most memorable ones came in 2012:
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie?Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one
— Strombone (@strombone1) July 26, 2012
Some people say 4 more years of Obama. I look at it more like 4 more years of disgruntled goalie politically charged Facebook rants! #I❤TT
— Strombone (@strombone1) November 8, 2012
Both goalies have seen some big changes since that hotly contested series – Thomas with his sabbatical last season, Luongo with his strange saga in Vancouver – so it’s not that tough to believe that the guy who won the Vezina and Stanley Cup is the one who really has moved on.
For entertainment value’s sake, it would be more fun if he’d fire back, though …
Update: Just around the time this post went up, Luongo tweeted a little bit of snark about his old buddy. So, it sounds like Bobby Lou will keep the laughs going.
May 30, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Fleischmann draws in for Etem.
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
For the first time in his career the 27-year-old is about to hit the open market.
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’ll be eligible to re-enter next month’s NHL Draft.
May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He met with doctors in Buffalo on Thursday.
May 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He is currently an assistant coach in Nashville.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
May 29, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
People like ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
May 29, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Appeared in just 33 games this season.
May 29, 2015, 3:16 PM EDT
“I don’t feel any tingling or soreness.”
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 1
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 10
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 34
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)