Nov 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
For the most part, Tim Thomas seems like he’s kept quiet regarding his relationship with former 2011 Stanley Cup Final opposing goalie Roberto Luongo. When he does comment, it’s usually a “no harm done” type response.
He uttered that refrain on Monday, telling TEAM 1040’s Satiar Shah that he has “no animosity on his side” toward Luongo.
Thomas, 39, was being asked about Luongo because his Florida Panthers will face the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. (Thomas believes he’ll get the start tomorrow, though that’s not official.)
To give you a quick refresher on some of the high points of their rivalry/media kerfuffles, it started with Luongo claiming he would have stopped a game-winning goal Thomas gave up in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. The next day, Thomas memorably said he wasn’t interested in “pumping his tires.”
After that, it was all about the glorious Twitter feed of Luongo, 34. The two most memorable ones came in 2012:
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie?Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one
— Strombone (@strombone1) July 26, 2012
Some people say 4 more years of Obama. I look at it more like 4 more years of disgruntled goalie politically charged Facebook rants! #I❤TT
— Strombone (@strombone1) November 8, 2012
Both goalies have seen some big changes since that hotly contested series – Thomas with his sabbatical last season, Luongo with his strange saga in Vancouver – so it’s not that tough to believe that the guy who won the Vezina and Stanley Cup is the one who really has moved on.
For entertainment value’s sake, it would be more fun if he’d fire back, though …
Update: Just around the time this post went up, Luongo tweeted a little bit of snark about his old buddy. So, it sounds like Bobby Lou will keep the laughs going.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
She’s reportedly scheduled to appear before a grand jury on Sept. 8.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)