Nov 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
For the most part, Tim Thomas seems like he’s kept quiet regarding his relationship with former 2011 Stanley Cup Final opposing goalie Roberto Luongo. When he does comment, it’s usually a “no harm done” type response.
He uttered that refrain on Monday, telling TEAM 1040’s Satiar Shah that he has “no animosity on his side” toward Luongo.
Thomas, 39, was being asked about Luongo because his Florida Panthers will face the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. (Thomas believes he’ll get the start tomorrow, though that’s not official.)
To give you a quick refresher on some of the high points of their rivalry/media kerfuffles, it started with Luongo claiming he would have stopped a game-winning goal Thomas gave up in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. The next day, Thomas memorably said he wasn’t interested in “pumping his tires.”
After that, it was all about the glorious Twitter feed of Luongo, 34. The two most memorable ones came in 2012:
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie?Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one
— Strombone (@strombone1) July 26, 2012
Some people say 4 more years of Obama. I look at it more like 4 more years of disgruntled goalie politically charged Facebook rants! #I❤TT
— Strombone (@strombone1) November 8, 2012
Both goalies have seen some big changes since that hotly contested series – Thomas with his sabbatical last season, Luongo with his strange saga in Vancouver – so it’s not that tough to believe that the guy who won the Vezina and Stanley Cup is the one who really has moved on.
For entertainment value’s sake, it would be more fun if he’d fire back, though …
Update: Just around the time this post went up, Luongo tweeted a little bit of snark about his old buddy. So, it sounds like Bobby Lou will keep the laughs going.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Retired Finnish star was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)