Nov 18, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
For the most part, Tim Thomas seems like he’s kept quiet regarding his relationship with former 2011 Stanley Cup Final opposing goalie Roberto Luongo. When he does comment, it’s usually a “no harm done” type response.
He uttered that refrain on Monday, telling TEAM 1040’s Satiar Shah that he has “no animosity on his side” toward Luongo.
Thomas, 39, was being asked about Luongo because his Florida Panthers will face the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. (Thomas believes he’ll get the start tomorrow, though that’s not official.)
To give you a quick refresher on some of the high points of their rivalry/media kerfuffles, it started with Luongo claiming he would have stopped a game-winning goal Thomas gave up in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. The next day, Thomas memorably said he wasn’t interested in “pumping his tires.”
After that, it was all about the glorious Twitter feed of Luongo, 34. The two most memorable ones came in 2012:
Hey guys remember 2y ago in the Stanley Cup Final when people thought I was the crazy goalie?Well I still might be, but NOT the craziest one
— Strombone (@strombone1) July 26, 2012
Some people say 4 more years of Obama. I look at it more like 4 more years of disgruntled goalie politically charged Facebook rants! #I❤TT
— Strombone (@strombone1) November 8, 2012
Both goalies have seen some big changes since that hotly contested series – Thomas with his sabbatical last season, Luongo with his strange saga in Vancouver – so it’s not that tough to believe that the guy who won the Vezina and Stanley Cup is the one who really has moved on.
For entertainment value’s sake, it would be more fun if he’d fire back, though …
Update: Just around the time this post went up, Luongo tweeted a little bit of snark about his old buddy. So, it sounds like Bobby Lou will keep the laughs going.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (68)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)