Nov 18, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Calgary head coach Bob Hartley didn’t hold back when it came to assessing a couple of the goals that beat netminder Reto Berra during Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton.
“We gave them two goals out of three,” Hartley said. “After 40 minutes, I felt that we gave them nothing. We were playing our style. Then, their first goal and third goal, there’s only one word for those two goals – awful.”
The first goal, by Jordan Eberle, was more of a team failure, though Berra looked a little, um, unconventional on it:
Here was the third goal, by Edmonton’s David Perron:
Yet despite what happened Saturday, Hartley will apparently turn to Berra, 26, again tonight when the Flames visit Winnipeg.
Not that the coach is sitting on any great alternatives. Karri Ramo, who returned to the NHL this season after starring in the KHL, is 2-4-1 with a .882 save percentage; journeyman Joey MacDonald is 3-3-1 with a .885 save percentage.
After 20 games, Calgary’s team save percentage sits at .875, the lowest in the league.
Suffice to say, in the wake of Miikka Kiprusoff’s retirement, the future in the Flames’ crease remains very much up in the air. A 22-year-old by the name of Joni Ortio is putting up decent numbers with AHL Abbotsford, but it’s hard to say if he’s got an NHL career ahead of him.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)