Nov 18, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Calgary head coach Bob Hartley didn’t hold back when it came to assessing a couple of the goals that beat netminder Reto Berra during Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton.
“We gave them two goals out of three,” Hartley said. “After 40 minutes, I felt that we gave them nothing. We were playing our style. Then, their first goal and third goal, there’s only one word for those two goals – awful.”
The first goal, by Jordan Eberle, was more of a team failure, though Berra looked a little, um, unconventional on it:
Here was the third goal, by Edmonton’s David Perron:
Yet despite what happened Saturday, Hartley will apparently turn to Berra, 26, again tonight when the Flames visit Winnipeg.
Not that the coach is sitting on any great alternatives. Karri Ramo, who returned to the NHL this season after starring in the KHL, is 2-4-1 with a .882 save percentage; journeyman Joey MacDonald is 3-3-1 with a .885 save percentage.
After 20 games, Calgary’s team save percentage sits at .875, the lowest in the league.
Suffice to say, in the wake of Miikka Kiprusoff’s retirement, the future in the Flames’ crease remains very much up in the air. A 22-year-old by the name of Joni Ortio is putting up decent numbers with AHL Abbotsford, but it’s hard to say if he’s got an NHL career ahead of him.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (54)