Nov 18, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Calgary head coach Bob Hartley didn’t hold back when it came to assessing a couple of the goals that beat netminder Reto Berra during Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton.
“We gave them two goals out of three,” Hartley said. “After 40 minutes, I felt that we gave them nothing. We were playing our style. Then, their first goal and third goal, there’s only one word for those two goals – awful.”
The first goal, by Jordan Eberle, was more of a team failure, though Berra looked a little, um, unconventional on it:
Here was the third goal, by Edmonton’s David Perron:
Yet despite what happened Saturday, Hartley will apparently turn to Berra, 26, again tonight when the Flames visit Winnipeg.
Not that the coach is sitting on any great alternatives. Karri Ramo, who returned to the NHL this season after starring in the KHL, is 2-4-1 with a .882 save percentage; journeyman Joey MacDonald is 3-3-1 with a .885 save percentage.
After 20 games, Calgary’s team save percentage sits at .875, the lowest in the league.
Suffice to say, in the wake of Miikka Kiprusoff’s retirement, the future in the Flames’ crease remains very much up in the air. A 22-year-old by the name of Joni Ortio is putting up decent numbers with AHL Abbotsford, but it’s hard to say if he’s got an NHL career ahead of him.
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 5
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 16
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)