Nov 18, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Calgary head coach Bob Hartley didn’t hold back when it came to assessing a couple of the goals that beat netminder Reto Berra during Saturday’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton.
“We gave them two goals out of three,” Hartley said. “After 40 minutes, I felt that we gave them nothing. We were playing our style. Then, their first goal and third goal, there’s only one word for those two goals – awful.”
The first goal, by Jordan Eberle, was more of a team failure, though Berra looked a little, um, unconventional on it:
Here was the third goal, by Edmonton’s David Perron:
Yet despite what happened Saturday, Hartley will apparently turn to Berra, 26, again tonight when the Flames visit Winnipeg.
Not that the coach is sitting on any great alternatives. Karri Ramo, who returned to the NHL this season after starring in the KHL, is 2-4-1 with a .882 save percentage; journeyman Joey MacDonald is 3-3-1 with a .885 save percentage.
After 20 games, Calgary’s team save percentage sits at .875, the lowest in the league.
Suffice to say, in the wake of Miikka Kiprusoff’s retirement, the future in the Flames’ crease remains very much up in the air. A 22-year-old by the name of Joni Ortio is putting up decent numbers with AHL Abbotsford, but it’s hard to say if he’s got an NHL career ahead of him.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)