Nov 18, 2013, 4:18 PM EST
The stage is being set for Saku Koivu‘s return.
Rakell, 20, appeared in six games for the Ducks during his recall assignment, playing a career-high 15:21 in a 6-2 win over Buffalo on Nov. 8. The former first-round pick (30th overall, 2011) also scored his first NHL point in the Sabres game.
As for Koivu, he’s a gametime decision tonight against Pittsburgh as both he and fellow injured forward Matt Beleskey only recently returned to practice. The veteran Finn has missed 10 straight games recovering from the concussion — suffered on a hit from Columbus’ Brandon Dubinsky — and would be a nice boost to a Ducks team looking to snap a three-game losing streak.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)