Nov 18, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers were placed on waivers Monday.
Edmonton signed LaBarbera in July to a one-year, $1 million deal in the hopes of providing stable backup play to Devan Dubnyk. That’s failed to happen, though — away from the friendly confines of the Phoenix Coyotes’ defensive system, LaBarbera struggled mightily in Edmonton and hits the waiver wire boasting an ugly 1-3-0 record with a 3.69 GAA and .858 save percentage.
Weber, who signed with Vancouver in the summer after five seasons with Montreal, had fallen out of favor after appearing in 10 games to start the season. The versatile Swiss skater played both defense and forward for Vancouver this season but couldn’t get a game lately, sitting in the press box for the last six contests.
It’ll be interesting to see if either guy lands with a new club. With the number of goalies lost to injury (Evgeni Nabokov, Pekka Rinne, Nikolai Khabublin) it’s feasible that LaBarbera could get a short-term look somewhere, while Weber might be worth a look given he’s cheap ($650,000 capt hit) and can play on the blueline and up front.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (40)