Nov 18, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers were placed on waivers Monday.
Edmonton signed LaBarbera in July to a one-year, $1 million deal in the hopes of providing stable backup play to Devan Dubnyk. That’s failed to happen, though — away from the friendly confines of the Phoenix Coyotes’ defensive system, LaBarbera struggled mightily in Edmonton and hits the waiver wire boasting an ugly 1-3-0 record with a 3.69 GAA and .858 save percentage.
Weber, who signed with Vancouver in the summer after five seasons with Montreal, had fallen out of favor after appearing in 10 games to start the season. The versatile Swiss skater played both defense and forward for Vancouver this season but couldn’t get a game lately, sitting in the press box for the last six contests.
It’ll be interesting to see if either guy lands with a new club. With the number of goalies lost to injury (Evgeni Nabokov, Pekka Rinne, Nikolai Khabublin) it’s feasible that LaBarbera could get a short-term look somewhere, while Weber might be worth a look given he’s cheap ($650,000 capt hit) and can play on the blueline and up front.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)