Nov 18, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers were placed on waivers Monday.
Edmonton signed LaBarbera in July to a one-year, $1 million deal in the hopes of providing stable backup play to Devan Dubnyk. That’s failed to happen, though — away from the friendly confines of the Phoenix Coyotes’ defensive system, LaBarbera struggled mightily in Edmonton and hits the waiver wire boasting an ugly 1-3-0 record with a 3.69 GAA and .858 save percentage.
Weber, who signed with Vancouver in the summer after five seasons with Montreal, had fallen out of favor after appearing in 10 games to start the season. The versatile Swiss skater played both defense and forward for Vancouver this season but couldn’t get a game lately, sitting in the press box for the last six contests.
It’ll be interesting to see if either guy lands with a new club. With the number of goalies lost to injury (Evgeni Nabokov, Pekka Rinne, Nikolai Khabublin) it’s feasible that LaBarbera could get a short-term look somewhere, while Weber might be worth a look given he’s cheap ($650,000 capt hit) and can play on the blueline and up front.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)