Nov 18, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Some interesting comments from new Sabres head coach Ted Nolan following today’s practice. The takeaway? Don’t be surprised if there’s some roster shuffling on the horizon.
“We have so many young guys here, and it’s almost like going back to junior hockey in some sense,” Nolan said, per the Buffalo News.
“Patty and I have been talking for the last three, four days about that. I didn’t realize how young they really were and the positions that they’re in and the capabilities of what they can do besides playing here.
“There’s some maneuvering room we can do here. We checked the farm team, see who’s going well down there. There’s a couple players playing exceptionally well down there that deserve an opportunity. We’ve been tweaking. We’re going to meet right after this and see what we can do.”
Patty, of course, is the Sabres’ new president of hockey operations, Pat LaFontaine.
One player that’s likely to be headed back to junior is Nikita Zadorov. The 18-year-old d-man has only played seven games this season, so the first year of his entry-level contract has yet to kick in.
Another candidate is Mikhail Grigorenko, who’s been a healthy scratch in both games that Nolan has coached. In hindsight, the 19-year-old was probably rushed into the NHL by the previous Sabres regime. A return to junior, where he can log a lot more ice time and experience some success, may be in his best long-term interests.
Update (4:28 p.m. ET)
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)