Nov 18, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have won four of five. The Calgary Flames have lost six straight.
Two teams going in opposite directions, you’d think — until you listen to Jets head coach Claude Noel.
“This is a game that we have to be ready to play, I’ll just put it that way,” Noel said prior to tonight’s game in Winnipeg, as per NHL.com. “You can’t look at the standings or anything like that. I think this is a game we have to be ready to play. They have been sitting here waiting for us. We know what they have had to face the whole season and the last game they played, so there’s enough fuel for them to play.”
The Flames are coming off a 4-2 loss to Edmonton, a game they led 2-0 before the Oilers scored four unanswered goals in the third period. It was a tough loss for Calgary to take, especially after getting clobbered 7-3 by Dallas in the game prior.
This ongoing string of consecutive losses has all but erased Calgary’s solid start to the ’13-14 campaign. The Flames head into Monday night’s action sitting second from bottom in the Western Conference and boasting just six wins through the first 20 games.
Of course, Noel was quick to point out that, despite being seven points up on Calgary in the standings, the Jets haven’t exactly set the NHL on fire to start the season.
“It’s not like we’re world-beaters,” he said. “We have to be ready to play.”
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)