Nov 18, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets have won four of five. The Calgary Flames have lost six straight.
Two teams going in opposite directions, you’d think — until you listen to Jets head coach Claude Noel.
“This is a game that we have to be ready to play, I’ll just put it that way,” Noel said prior to tonight’s game in Winnipeg, as per NHL.com. “You can’t look at the standings or anything like that. I think this is a game we have to be ready to play. They have been sitting here waiting for us. We know what they have had to face the whole season and the last game they played, so there’s enough fuel for them to play.”
The Flames are coming off a 4-2 loss to Edmonton, a game they led 2-0 before the Oilers scored four unanswered goals in the third period. It was a tough loss for Calgary to take, especially after getting clobbered 7-3 by Dallas in the game prior.
This ongoing string of consecutive losses has all but erased Calgary’s solid start to the ’13-14 campaign. The Flames head into Monday night’s action sitting second from bottom in the Western Conference and boasting just six wins through the first 20 games.
Of course, Noel was quick to point out that, despite being seven points up on Calgary in the standings, the Jets haven’t exactly set the NHL on fire to start the season.
“It’s not like we’re world-beaters,” he said. “We have to be ready to play.”
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)