Nov 18, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
To replace Nabokov, the Isles called up 23-year-old Swedish netminder Anders Nilsson from AHL Bridgeport.
The Nabokov injury comes at a time when New York’s goaltending was in a state of flux. The 38-year-old had slowly been losing his grip on the No. 1 job to Kevin Poulin, but the Nabokov loss is still significant in terms of experience — combined, Pulin and Nilsson have just 26 total NHL starts between them, a far cry from the over 600 Nabokov boasts.
It’ll be interesting to see if Russian netminder’s ailment forces Isles GM Garth Snow to make a move and address the position. Nabokov does have a history of groin issues — he had two long stretches on the shelf during his first year on Long Island.
For now, though, it appears the Isles are content with giving Poulin a shot.
“I think every player that works his way up from the minors, every player who pays his dues, wants that opportunity,” head coach Jack Capuano told Newsday. “Kevin’s no different than Brock Nelson or Aaron Ness or Matt Donovan.
“He’s going to get to play some more hockey in a very different role.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)