Nov 18, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
To replace Nabokov, the Isles called up 23-year-old Swedish netminder Anders Nilsson from AHL Bridgeport.
The Nabokov injury comes at a time when New York’s goaltending was in a state of flux. The 38-year-old had slowly been losing his grip on the No. 1 job to Kevin Poulin, but the Nabokov loss is still significant in terms of experience — combined, Pulin and Nilsson have just 26 total NHL starts between them, a far cry from the over 600 Nabokov boasts.
It’ll be interesting to see if Russian netminder’s ailment forces Isles GM Garth Snow to make a move and address the position. Nabokov does have a history of groin issues — he had two long stretches on the shelf during his first year on Long Island.
For now, though, it appears the Isles are content with giving Poulin a shot.
“I think every player that works his way up from the minors, every player who pays his dues, wants that opportunity,” head coach Jack Capuano told Newsday. “Kevin’s no different than Brock Nelson or Aaron Ness or Matt Donovan.
“He’s going to get to play some more hockey in a very different role.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)