Nov 18, 2013, 11:16 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames stopped their losing skid at six games on Monday, beating the Winnipeg Jets 5-4 via Sean Monahan‘s shootout winner.
Winnipeg already saw its four-game winning streak end against the Minnesota Wild on Sunday, but they saw their simmering shootout work conclude as well (the last three wins in that four-game run came from skills competition triumphs).
The Flames can feel a little better about their paltry goaltending for at least one night, as Reto Berra stopped 40 out of 44 shots to gain his second NHL win. Mike Cammalleri and TJ Brodie has a goal and an assist apiece tonight.
There are a couple pros among the cons for the Jets, too. The Jets dissolved four one-goal Flames leads to send this game beyond regulation, including Bryan Little‘s game-tying goal with just six seconds remaining. Dustin Byfuglien also remains red-hot lately, as his goal and assist give him 17 points in 23 games (including three goals and one assist in his last four contests).
Both of these teams might find themselves grasping at moral victories a little more often than they’d like, but at least they have that much. They can’t all be world-beaters, after all.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)