Nov 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov practiced with the Edmonton Oilers today, as expected; however, it’s not clear when the 33-year-old netminder will debut for his new club.
According to head coach Dallas Eakins, as long as regular starter Devan Dubnyk is playing well — a rarity this season; hence, the Bryzgalov signing — the Oilers won’t switch goalies.
“A lot will have to do if Dubs can keep rolling like he is,” said Eakins, per the Canadian Press. “Dubs is going lights out, Dubs gets the net.”
Now, granted, “rolling” is a relative term. Dubnyk’s played reasonably well in his last three games, including Saturday’s 4-2 win over Calgary in which he stopped 33 of 35 shots. But his save percentage for November is just .902, and his overall save percentage is even lower, at .889.
The Oilers host Columbus Tuesday, Florida Thursday and Chicago Monday. They don’t go back-to-back until Nov. 28 (in Nashville) and Nov. 29 (in Columbus).
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 6
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)