Nov 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Ilya Bryzgalov practiced with the Edmonton Oilers today, as expected; however, it’s not clear when the 33-year-old netminder will debut for his new club.
According to head coach Dallas Eakins, as long as regular starter Devan Dubnyk is playing well — a rarity this season; hence, the Bryzgalov signing — the Oilers won’t switch goalies.
“A lot will have to do if Dubs can keep rolling like he is,” said Eakins, per the Canadian Press. “Dubs is going lights out, Dubs gets the net.”
Now, granted, “rolling” is a relative term. Dubnyk’s played reasonably well in his last three games, including Saturday’s 4-2 win over Calgary in which he stopped 33 of 35 shots. But his save percentage for November is just .902, and his overall save percentage is even lower, at .889.
The Oilers host Columbus Tuesday, Florida Thursday and Chicago Monday. They don’t go back-to-back until Nov. 28 (in Nashville) and Nov. 29 (in Columbus).
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)