Nov 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov practiced with the Edmonton Oilers today, as expected; however, it’s not clear when the 33-year-old netminder will debut for his new club.
According to head coach Dallas Eakins, as long as regular starter Devan Dubnyk is playing well — a rarity this season; hence, the Bryzgalov signing — the Oilers won’t switch goalies.
“A lot will have to do if Dubs can keep rolling like he is,” said Eakins, per the Canadian Press. “Dubs is going lights out, Dubs gets the net.”
Now, granted, “rolling” is a relative term. Dubnyk’s played reasonably well in his last three games, including Saturday’s 4-2 win over Calgary in which he stopped 33 of 35 shots. But his save percentage for November is just .902, and his overall save percentage is even lower, at .889.
The Oilers host Columbus Tuesday, Florida Thursday and Chicago Monday. They don’t go back-to-back until Nov. 28 (in Nashville) and Nov. 29 (in Columbus).
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)