Nov 18, 2013, 9:51 PM EST
The Boston Bruins defeated the Carolina Hurricanes in Cam Ward‘s return to action on Monday, taking it 4-1.
This snaps a three-game road skid for the Bruins, which was about the only way they haven’t been climbing lately; they’ve now won five of their last six games.
Boston’s lesser known forwards played well tonight, with Carl Soderberg and Reilly Smith pitching in a goal and an assist apiece. Smith, 23, is quietly making the Tyler Seguin trade look a little more even for Boston with a solid 13 points in 20 contests.
Speaking of Seguin, his former running mate continues to face ups and downs. Brad Marchand was demoted to the fourth line for Jordan Caron, with CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty arguing that it was more about Marchand’s struggles than Caron’s successes.
Ward wasn’t able to get the win for Carolina, but the Hurricanes are likely just glad to see the 29-year-old come back. He stopped 26 out of 29 shots.
One other promising sign for the ‘Canes: Tuomo Ruutu scored his first goal of 2013-14. If he can approach the form he showed in healthier days, Carolina might have a better chance of rising above its mediocre status (8-9-4).
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 10
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)