Nov 18, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins defeated the Carolina Hurricanes in Cam Ward‘s return to action on Monday, taking it 4-1.
This snaps a three-game road skid for the Bruins, which was about the only way they haven’t been climbing lately; they’ve now won five of their last six games.
Boston’s lesser known forwards played well tonight, with Carl Soderberg and Reilly Smith pitching in a goal and an assist apiece. Smith, 23, is quietly making the Tyler Seguin trade look a little more even for Boston with a solid 13 points in 20 contests.
Speaking of Seguin, his former running mate continues to face ups and downs. Brad Marchand was demoted to the fourth line for Jordan Caron, with CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty arguing that it was more about Marchand’s struggles than Caron’s successes.
Ward wasn’t able to get the win for Carolina, but the Hurricanes are likely just glad to see the 29-year-old come back. He stopped 26 out of 29 shots.
One other promising sign for the ‘Canes: Tuomo Ruutu scored his first goal of 2013-14. If he can approach the form he showed in healthier days, Carolina might have a better chance of rising above its mediocre status (8-9-4).
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)