Nov 18, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins defeated the Carolina Hurricanes in Cam Ward‘s return to action on Monday, taking it 4-1.
This snaps a three-game road skid for the Bruins, which was about the only way they haven’t been climbing lately; they’ve now won five of their last six games.
Boston’s lesser known forwards played well tonight, with Carl Soderberg and Reilly Smith pitching in a goal and an assist apiece. Smith, 23, is quietly making the Tyler Seguin trade look a little more even for Boston with a solid 13 points in 20 contests.
Speaking of Seguin, his former running mate continues to face ups and downs. Brad Marchand was demoted to the fourth line for Jordan Caron, with CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty arguing that it was more about Marchand’s struggles than Caron’s successes.
Ward wasn’t able to get the win for Carolina, but the Hurricanes are likely just glad to see the 29-year-old come back. He stopped 26 out of 29 shots.
One other promising sign for the ‘Canes: Tuomo Ruutu scored his first goal of 2013-14. If he can approach the form he showed in healthier days, Carolina might have a better chance of rising above its mediocre status (8-9-4).
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)