Nov 18, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock is optimistic about Jaroslav Halak‘s ability to bounce back from some poor recent performances, including being pulled within the first 16 minutes of Sunday’s loss to Washington, as NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports.
“He’ll jump back (in) and play well,” Hitchcock said. “We need him, especially on the road. Your goalie has got to be your best player. We’ll need him to have a good game.”
“Brian (Elliott) has played very well. He’s given us a chance to win every night. Now it’s Jaro’s turn.”
Of the NHL goalies with at least 10 wins in 2013-14, none have a lower save percentage than Halak’s flat .900 mark. Even so, he’s pretty comfortably in the Blues’ No. 1 spot with that 10-3-2 record (Elliott is 3-0-1 so far, with six games played).
Halak, 28, has a lot to lose or gain in a contract year, which means not having nights like last night.
“I think everybody needs to look at themselves, and it starts with me,” Halak said. “I need to look at myself and ask myself if I did my best. I know I can play better.”
The Blues face the Sabres in Buffalo on Tuesday, so Halak may get a chance to redeem himself tomorrow (unless Elliott gets the nod).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)