Nov 18, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
St. Louis Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock is optimistic about Jaroslav Halak‘s ability to bounce back from some poor recent performances, including being pulled within the first 16 minutes of Sunday’s loss to Washington, as NHL.com’s Lou Korac reports.
“He’ll jump back (in) and play well,” Hitchcock said. “We need him, especially on the road. Your goalie has got to be your best player. We’ll need him to have a good game.”
“Brian (Elliott) has played very well. He’s given us a chance to win every night. Now it’s Jaro’s turn.”
Of the NHL goalies with at least 10 wins in 2013-14, none have a lower save percentage than Halak’s flat .900 mark. Even so, he’s pretty comfortably in the Blues’ No. 1 spot with that 10-3-2 record (Elliott is 3-0-1 so far, with six games played).
Halak, 28, has a lot to lose or gain in a contract year, which means not having nights like last night.
“I think everybody needs to look at themselves, and it starts with me,” Halak said. “I need to look at myself and ask myself if I did my best. I know I can play better.”
The Blues face the Sabres in Buffalo on Tuesday, so Halak may get a chance to redeem himself tomorrow (unless Elliott gets the nod).
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)