Nov 17, 2013, 9:10 AM EST
Steven Stamkos‘ absence from the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup created an opportunity for former college standout J.T. Brown. He took advantage of that against the Phoenix Coyotes scoring his first career NHL goal.
Brown was signed out of the University of Minnesota-Duluth in 2012 and, after making a brief debut that year playing just five games, is back in Tampa following Stamkos’ broken leg. In the second period against the Coyotes, he finally got on the board.
While the Lightning lost 6-3 to the Coyotes, Brown described what his return to Tampa has been like to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times.
“It’s a lot more comfortable,” Brown said. “Obviously, playing for [Jon] Cooper before I know what he expects of me. I know the systems and the way he coaches. It makes it a lot easier coming up this time than the first time when I didn’t know anything. I was brand new to the system.”
The Lightning hope he can score a few more while Stamkos heals at home.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)