Nov 17, 2013, 9:10 AM EST
Steven Stamkos‘ absence from the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup created an opportunity for former college standout J.T. Brown. He took advantage of that against the Phoenix Coyotes scoring his first career NHL goal.
Brown was signed out of the University of Minnesota-Duluth in 2012 and, after making a brief debut that year playing just five games, is back in Tampa following Stamkos’ broken leg. In the second period against the Coyotes, he finally got on the board.
While the Lightning lost 6-3 to the Coyotes, Brown described what his return to Tampa has been like to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times.
“It’s a lot more comfortable,” Brown said. “Obviously, playing for [Jon] Cooper before I know what he expects of me. I know the systems and the way he coaches. It makes it a lot easier coming up this time than the first time when I didn’t know anything. I was brand new to the system.”
The Lightning hope he can score a few more while Stamkos heals at home.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)