Nov 17, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
After winning in his return to Buffalo on Friday, Sabres players raved about head coach Ted Nolan giving them a fresh start. Nolan’s coaching assistant Joe Sacco implies to the Buffalo News that he’s not adding too much clutter to that clean slate, either.
“Right now he just wants to try to keep things as simple as possible, not change too much early on,” Sacco said. “That’s just going to add confusion to everything. His message has been pretty clear to the players and the rest of the other coaches. Less is more right now, just letting them go out and play.
For a player who went from promising to troubling like Tyler Myers, a strategy that’s currently about aggressiveness (and living with mistakes) instead of over-thinking things is a breathe of fresh air.
“Ted came in and basically had one-on-ones with every guy in the room,” Myers said. “One of the things he brought up was don’t be afraid to jump up as much as you can. There’s mistakes that are going to be made, and that’s part of hockey. Don’t worry about it. It was a good feeling to hear that.”
Maybe it won’t mean a drastic change in the standings, but it seems like there’s renewed optimism – or at least a little bit more of it – in Buffalo.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)