Nov 17, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Scrivens, 27, notched his second shutout in a row (and third of the 2013-14 season) as the Kings blanked the New York Rangers 1-0 on Sunday. It wasn’t a cakewalk, either, as he stopped all 37 shots. That included 15 in the final frame.
He’s stopped an astounding 86 out of 88 shots since taking over for Quick in overtime on Nov. 12.
Scrivens managed to snag a win against a hot Rangers team that had won seven of their last nine games coming into tonight.
In some ways, it might all feel strangely familiar for Kings fans. Last season, a current Toronto Maple Leafs goalie saved the day when things were shaky for Quick. Now a former Maple Leafs backup is producing similar work … albeit early.
It’s worth noting that Scrivens has quietly been competent in his early hockey career. He put up nice numbers with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL and wasn’t half bad with the parent club, notching a mediocre .903 save percentage in 12 games in 2011-2 and a solid .915 mark in 20 games last season.
Perhaps he can produce some strong results behind a stronger Kings defense? He probably hopes so, as a sustained run of impressive production could mean a significant raise from the $550K cap hit that expires after this season.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)