Nov 17, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Scrivens, 27, notched his second shutout in a row (and third of the 2013-14 season) as the Kings blanked the New York Rangers 1-0 on Sunday. It wasn’t a cakewalk, either, as he stopped all 37 shots. That included 15 in the final frame.
He’s stopped an astounding 86 out of 88 shots since taking over for Quick in overtime on Nov. 12.
Scrivens managed to snag a win against a hot Rangers team that had won seven of their last nine games coming into tonight.
In some ways, it might all feel strangely familiar for Kings fans. Last season, a current Toronto Maple Leafs goalie saved the day when things were shaky for Quick. Now a former Maple Leafs backup is producing similar work … albeit early.
It’s worth noting that Scrivens has quietly been competent in his early hockey career. He put up nice numbers with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL and wasn’t half bad with the parent club, notching a mediocre .903 save percentage in 12 games in 2011-2 and a solid .915 mark in 20 games last season.
Perhaps he can produce some strong results behind a stronger Kings defense? He probably hopes so, as a sustained run of impressive production could mean a significant raise from the $550K cap hit that expires after this season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)