Nov 17, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Scrivens, 27, notched his second shutout in a row (and third of the 2013-14 season) as the Kings blanked the New York Rangers 1-0 on Sunday. It wasn’t a cakewalk, either, as he stopped all 37 shots. That included 15 in the final frame.
He’s stopped an astounding 86 out of 88 shots since taking over for Quick in overtime on Nov. 12.
Scrivens managed to snag a win against a hot Rangers team that had won seven of their last nine games coming into tonight.
In some ways, it might all feel strangely familiar for Kings fans. Last season, a current Toronto Maple Leafs goalie saved the day when things were shaky for Quick. Now a former Maple Leafs backup is producing similar work … albeit early.
It’s worth noting that Scrivens has quietly been competent in his early hockey career. He put up nice numbers with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL and wasn’t half bad with the parent club, notching a mediocre .903 save percentage in 12 games in 2011-2 and a solid .915 mark in 20 games last season.
Perhaps he can produce some strong results behind a stronger Kings defense? He probably hopes so, as a sustained run of impressive production could mean a significant raise from the $550K cap hit that expires after this season.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)