Nov 17, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
The dislike between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres grew a little more Saturday.
“…all of a sudden I’m not allowed to hit him anymore. He’s Princess Phaneuf. It’s a joke,” said Scott after the game.
“My leg’s fine, everything’s good. It’s just something where I guess you’re not allowed to hit the star guys anymore.”
Scott appeared to hurt his right leg on the attempted hit on Phaneuf.
After a stop in play, Phaneuf went over to Scott and then threw a pretty good cross check Cody McCormick, causing a dust-up. Maple Leafs enforcer Colton Orr then joined the fray, leaping through the air to try and get at McCormick.
All totaled up, 44 penalty minutes were handed out in that melee alone.
“I kind of fell a little bit,” said Phaneuf, as per The Canadian Press. “I obviously ran into (Scott), he’s a big man. I was just going over to kind of talk to him a little bit and obviously McCormick came in, that’s part of the game.”
Buffalo’s new head coach Ted Nolan, speaking after tonight’s game, spoke out against “staged fights.”
“I think there’s room for fighting in this game but not that way,” he said, as per Brian Koziol of WGR 550 and the Sabres Radio Network.
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning 0
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 30
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)