Nov 17, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
The dislike between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres grew a little more Saturday.
“…all of a sudden I’m not allowed to hit him anymore. He’s Princess Phaneuf. It’s a joke,” said Scott after the game.
“My leg’s fine, everything’s good. It’s just something where I guess you’re not allowed to hit the star guys anymore.”
Scott appeared to hurt his right leg on the attempted hit on Phaneuf.
After a stop in play, Phaneuf went over to Scott and then threw a pretty good cross check Cody McCormick, causing a dust-up. Maple Leafs enforcer Colton Orr then joined the fray, leaping through the air to try and get at McCormick.
All totaled up, 44 penalty minutes were handed out in that melee alone.
“I kind of fell a little bit,” said Phaneuf, as per The Canadian Press. “I obviously ran into (Scott), he’s a big man. I was just going over to kind of talk to him a little bit and obviously McCormick came in, that’s part of the game.”
Buffalo’s new head coach Ted Nolan, speaking after tonight’s game, spoke out against “staged fights.”
“I think there’s room for fighting in this game but not that way,” he said, as per Brian Koziol of WGR 550 and the Sabres Radio Network.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)