Nov 17, 2013, 12:17 AM EDT
The dislike between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres grew a little more Saturday.
“…all of a sudden I’m not allowed to hit him anymore. He’s Princess Phaneuf. It’s a joke,” said Scott after the game.
“My leg’s fine, everything’s good. It’s just something where I guess you’re not allowed to hit the star guys anymore.”
Scott appeared to hurt his right leg on the attempted hit on Phaneuf.
After a stop in play, Phaneuf went over to Scott and then threw a pretty good cross check Cody McCormick, causing a dust-up. Maple Leafs enforcer Colton Orr then joined the fray, leaping through the air to try and get at McCormick.
All totaled up, 44 penalty minutes were handed out in that melee alone.
“I kind of fell a little bit,” said Phaneuf, as per The Canadian Press. “I obviously ran into (Scott), he’s a big man. I was just going over to kind of talk to him a little bit and obviously McCormick came in, that’s part of the game.”
Buffalo’s new head coach Ted Nolan, speaking after tonight’s game, spoke out against “staged fights.”
“I think there’s room for fighting in this game but not that way,” he said, as per Brian Koziol of WGR 550 and the Sabres Radio Network.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)