Nov 17, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have a different goalie backing up Corey Crawford when they face the San Jose Sharks Sunday night.
Saturday night saw Nikolai Khabibulin go down with an injury in the Blackhawks’ 7-2 loss to the Nashville Predators and the team has recalled 24-year-old Finnish prospect Antti Raanta from Rockford to replace him.
It was just over two weeks ago the team decided to stick by Khabibulin through his early-season struggles and said Raanta would not be recalled.
Now with the 40-year-old Khabibulin banged up, Raanta gets to hold down the backup job until they determine how serious he is hurt.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)