Nov 17, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have a different goalie backing up Corey Crawford when they face the San Jose Sharks Sunday night.
Saturday night saw Nikolai Khabibulin go down with an injury in the Blackhawks’ 7-2 loss to the Nashville Predators and the team has recalled 24-year-old Finnish prospect Antti Raanta from Rockford to replace him.
It was just over two weeks ago the team decided to stick by Khabibulin through his early-season struggles and said Raanta would not be recalled.
Now with the 40-year-old Khabibulin banged up, Raanta gets to hold down the backup job until they determine how serious he is hurt.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 15
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)