Goalie nods: Lundqvist starts vs. Kings, Halak to face Capitals

Nov 17, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT

Jaroslav Halak Getty Images

Who’s in goal tonight? Here’s who you’ll likely see roaming the crease tonight.

Lundqvist back in action for New York

After Cam Talbot stymied the Montreal Canadiens last night for the Rangers first shutout in Montreal since February 1967, Henrik Lundqvist gets the call against the Los Angeles Kings at Madison Square Garden. He’ll go up against Kings backup-turned-starter Ben Scrivens as Jonathan Quick is out with a groin injury.

Halak to face Capitals, cause nightmarish flashbacks

Jaroslav Halak will get the start for the St. Louis Blues against the Washington Capitals at Verizon Center. Give Caps fans the benefit of the doubt if they break out in a cold sweat seeing him on the ice. While with the Montreal Canadiens, his play stunned the Caps in the first round of the 2010 playoffs as the Habs knocked them out in seven games. Washington will most likely counter with Braden Holtby in goal.

Niemi to face former Blackhawks mates

Antti Niemi was a Stanley Cup winner with the Chicago Blackhawks back in 2010 and he’ll get another shot to beat his former team tonight in Chicago as he’ll start for the San Jose Sharks. In his career against the ‘Hawks, Niemi is 5-5-1 with a .914 save percentage and a 2.84 goals-against average.

Corey Crawford starts for Chicago as they try to rebound from getting stomped by the Nashville Predators on Saturday. Antti Raanta will be backing him up as he was called up to take Nikolai Khabibulin‘s place after he was inured.

Elsewhere…

– Winnipeg’s Ondrej Pavelec will look to extend the Jets’ four-game win streak. He’ll face Minnesota’s Josh Harding in St. Paul.

Kari Lehtonen will likely keep on keeping on for Dallas against Vancouver who’ll send Roberto Luongo to try and stop the Stars.

Sergei Bobrovsky just missed out on a shutout in helping the Blue Jackets beat Craig Anderson and the Senators 4-1 Saturday afternoon.

1. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM

“I said uhhhhhh Halak it like that”…

2. namriverrat69 - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Start whoever you like. We’ve got the up and coming breakout Ben Scrivens. Advantage Kings.

GO KINGS GO!! GO SCRIVENS GO!! GO KINGS GO!!

3. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I take back my comment for tonight… :(

4. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

riverrat=blomfeld? Or are all Kings fans crazy?

5. namriverrat69 - Nov 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I believe it is optimism not crazy. I know Ben Scrivens can’t hold a candle to Quick. I can hope and believe until proven wrong that he can do the job in the interim. That is the optimism we all have in our teams. Realism is a different story but not as much fun.

I became a hockey fan while serving 2 ½ years in Vietnam. During my 2nd tour, up on the Cambodian border on the Bassac River at a place called Tan Chau, Armed Forces Radio & TV was showing a game on our 13” BW TV from the 1971 Cup Finals – where Boston won – at least over there. I was watching with a North Stars buddy who explained the basic rules to me. When I came home and resettled in LA from So Arizona, I became joined at the hip with the LA Kings.

I like Mr. Blomfeld. He and his Canadian fellows took excellent care of the 1,000s of American draft dodgers while we served and fought in Vietnam, sleeping on the ground so much and eating a lot of food I wouldn’t serve my dog. I wish there was a medal we could award all those like Mr. Blomfeld for their humble service to our draft dodgers. Oh that the same attitude would have gone out to the returning GIs from that hell hole Vietnam where we were there getting shot at one day and the next, when out tour was up we were flown home, given civvies to wear and told to forget about that past year, or two, or 3 or 4. The problem is we don’t forget it, we can’t forget it – ever. America has crapped all over us since we came home. i can’t tell you how much it means when someone walks up and says “thank you for your service”.

Anyway, here we are today. Mr. Jheags – thank you for your sense of humor. I like it.l My music taste is much different than that of Mr. Blomfeld. I like the Beatles but much prefer the Moody Blues, Frank Zappa (Hot Rats), Grand Funk Railroad and Quicksilver Messenger Service from back in the day than the other groups he mentioned yesterday. These guys got me through my hell over their and I owe them.

I did not intend this to be a history lesson. If you have read this far thank you. May you never have to serve in such a f#cked up war. Oh wait, we’ve had Desert Storm, Iraq and Afganistan since. These poor guys have assumed the same position we did. May our Lord Bless them and keep them as they deal with all the BS they have lived through for so long and they will live through the rest of their lives.

I love you my brothers. Be safe and be well.

As for hockey – GO KINGS GO!!!!!!

6. namriverrat69 - Nov 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Mr. Jhaegs, you may now ask again. Who is Ben Scrivens? This guy who shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence as Lundqvist. As Steve McQueen said at the end of The Sand Pebbles, “What the hell happened”?

7. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

LOL I just hope he holds up for you guys in Quick’s absence. Getting rid of Bernier had me wondering…

8. namriverrat69 - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Mr. Jhaegs, a couple of things. 1) I like Mr. Blomfeld yet he is still Canadian. Does that make me a racist? 2) Sign up Scrivens and put Quick on the trading block. 3) What was it that great singer/songwriter George Michael sang, “Oh you gotta have faith!”. 4) How could you doubt the infamous Ben Scrivens? I hope you don’t make that mistake again sir. 5) Jonathan Bernier was traded because he became a RFA and the Kings couldn’t put that kind of money up for him when they were up against the CAP. 6) Whatever I say take it with a grain of salt. I have fun playing with the words like so many people here do. 7) Again, I hope you learned your lesson in doubting the great Ben Scrivens. (one thing I like about this kid is he always talks about the team first. He never talks about himself. Even if he ends up flopping I will still like this kid because his heart and head are in the right place). 8) I do hope he sticks as a solid back up and meets some quality nhl big league women.

Lastly, I stuck up for you the other day when Blomfeld said you eat $hit sandwiches. I said you did not. I know you don’t like bread. He also said you weren’t fit to live in a pig pen. I stuck up for you and said “Oh yes he is”. That is all the stupid jokes I can remember from my youth. At my age I can’t remember what I had for lunch today. Sorry about the lame jokes but that is all I can remember. Ever since my stroke 3 years ago I can’t remember squat.

Be safe and be well my friend.

9. jhaegs - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Hahaha you give me a good laugh, and it’s very appreciated. Finally, a Kings fan I don’t hate (that doesn’t mean I like you) ;)

I’m from MO- I have eaten cow tongue and brain sandwiches. Perhaps I’ll try these $hit sandwiches Californians seem to be so fond of. You guys didn’t steer me wrong on fish tacos!

Best of luck to Scrivens, because I frankly can’t stand Quick.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D