Blackhawks ‘very gracious’ losers to Predators

Nov 17, 2013, 12:59 AM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks’ four-game winning streak came to an end in spectacularly bad fashion Saturday.

The Blackhawks were defeated 7-2 on the road by the Nashville Predators. It started poorly and pretty much went downhill from there.

Back-up goalie Nikolai Khabibulin gave up two quick goals in the first period, and then had to leave the game after suffering an injury later in the opening period.

Corey Crawford, expecting to have the night off, was pushed back into the crease. It was a tough night for him.

Goals were coming fast and furious for the Predators. Saturday’s win marked the first time this season they managed to hit the seven-spot.

“We were very generous in gifting tonight with goals, to a different level. I haven’t seen that in a long time,” Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville said afterward, as per CSN Chicago.

“It was a free night for them offensively. We were very gracious.”

Blackhawks forward Marian Hossa also sat out tonight’s game, due to a lower-body injury.

1. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Hawks lose to Preds, Avs lose to Panthers… Ouch!

Go Blues! :)

• bluelinemh - Nov 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Blackhawks ahead of Blues in standings….Ouch!

• cubsfan101 - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Hawks are 1 point up and have played 2 more games. Wouldn’t brag too much there

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM

No bragging at all. The key thing is % of points won, and the Blues are ahead. And nobody has established any points gap of significance.

I expect that the central will be a close race between the Hawks and Blues for he top 2 spots. Hawks have the advantage when it comes to forwards, and Blues clearly in goal.

Aves are fading, I expect the Wild will take 3rd at around 63% of possible points, the Aves and Stars will contend for the 4th spot. Wild would likely be in 1st if in the Metro, certainly a close 2nd.

2. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:07 AM

How many games in hand? How early in the season is it? I commented about tonight’s game- don’t get butthurt sweetheart.

3. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:09 AM

You have played TWO more games than us, and have ONE more point than us. Should I do the math, or can you figure that one out?

Remember!
    Win= 2pts
    Tie= 1pt
    Loss= 0pts

• ubadbro - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Dude you talking to a bandwagon….they don’t even know how many cups they have won without looking it up online lol

• esracerx46 - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Chicago 5. St. Louis 0.

• esracerx46 - Nov 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM

There is no tie in hockey anymore. I forgot how many Stanley Cups have the Blues won? Oh Zero. Didn’t even have to look that up. Well surely they’ve been to the Cup Finals…No?! Damn. Next time you wanna get on Chicago’s case, perhaps you should root for a team that doesn’t hold the title for oldest team without a Cup.

• ubadbro - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Congrats you found the answer…what you use WIKI?

• pwt3 - Nov 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

How many Stanley Cups up on you are we? We’ve got more in the past 6 months than your franchise has got in its entire sorry existence. Win something, then brag.

• thehockeyhawk - Nov 18, 2013 at 3:26 AM

not saying much considering you’ve had almost 90 years to accumulate only 6 trophies. NO BODY CAN BRAG EXCEPT MONTREAL. You are all idiots throwing those cup numbers around like your team has anything on anyone.

• pwt3 - Nov 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Since we’re the only dynasty in the modern era, and are the best team right now, yes, we can brag plenty. Montreal has nothing to brag about with its garbage titles.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM

It’s absolutely how many posters here and Yahoo toss out the bandwagon label with VERY little to go on. I don’t see that directed to any other team fans but the Hawks.

The ignorant post was something that lots of fans of all teams make (total points). National hockey writers do it al the time.

The simple thing that levels the points is % of possible points – does not matter how many games you’ve played.

What people who really look at it intelligently is % possible points in conjunction with strength of schedule.

By the way, most of the time I see the “bandwagon” label tossed out, there is rarely an effort to really educate or add insights. Instead I see dismissive trashing.

How about you exemplify a higher level of posting instead of resorting to empty cheapshots.

4. jpat2424 - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Jheags

All that won’t matter when blues get another first round early exit. Then you and the Canucks can watch the hawks from the golf coarse

• kaptaanamerica - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I hope the Canucks play the hawks in the playoffs so we can expose the hawks and Toes for what they are, over rated. Hawks only beat the kings last year cuz the blues and sharks exacted a serious pound of flesh. if the hawks play a team that is as healthy as they are they will lose , to the kings or Canucks.remember hawks lost to Canucks the last time they meet in the playoffs.

• esracerx46 - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

That was 3 years ago the last time the Hawks played the sisters. Hawks have improved, canucks have regressed. How come your theory doesn’t apply to the Hawks beating the Kings? Canucks beat the Hawks one series three years ago, therefore they’d beat em in a series this year? One of the more ignorant posts I’ve seen in a while.

• hammerhead5573 - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

You sure are tying to get a lot of milage out of that comment. Pretty positive,you have used that same comment before. I would rather have an “over-rated team” carrying the cup around in the summer rather than a team such as the nucks and Luongo doing what they do evey year. Choke. Any Hawk fan remembers the last time the nucks beat them in a series. It was the year the Hawks had to unload salary and many important players. Oh and by the way it was a 7 game series. The 7th game being overtime. Congratulations they got to the finals. lost and burned the city down. I dare mention you likely will be no-where to be seen once the nucks lose yet again, assuming they make the playoffs.

• hawksin5 - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM

@kaptaanamerica. im not going to go in depth with explanations as to why your post is dumb, and wrong. I’m just going to jump to the point here and let you know that if you think the canucks or the kings are a better team than the hawks last year, or this year…..you are an idiot.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Let’s look at the facts. Hawks played one less game than the Kings going into the series. Both played a 7 game close series immediately before.

Seems to me the Hawks dominated the series, not only wining 4-1, but also being the only team to say Bye-bye to a goalie in the process.

5. blackhawks2010 - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

jHeags spends more time in Hawks posts, what does that tell you….

Blues fan, win something first before you run your mouths. To us, you represent an annual early playoff exit, nothing more..

6. sprtsfan1 - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Number of cups won by the Canucks?….. Exactly

7. thailer35 - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It cannot ever be said, however, that the bandwag- I mean Blackhawks fans lost graciously. Most obnoxious fan base ever.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I went to see the Hawks twice in the 60′s, then more in the 70′s. You have no idea how long a poster has been following hockey. Got my 1st sports scar when I was too slow to stop a shot, but just in time to catch the follow-thru of a slap-shot. ‘Bout 43 years ago.

Or do you have feminine intuition working for you?

• thailer35 - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:13 PM

While you may be one of the hawks fans here that has been a fan since before 2010, you are still proving the fact that you are part of the most obnoxious fan base ever.

• comeonnowguys - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Coming from one of the three people in the entire Coyote random, this is hilarious.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The post implied a 1/2 season, as I’ve seen loads of other posts say explicitly. And again, less than a full season only applies to a Presidents cup logically, not to a normal length playoffs.

Not that difficult a concept to grasp.

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Proving hat I’m a part of the obnoxious fan base? I did a witty dig related to your presumption that a post or two were from a bandwagon fan.

I’m really tired of seeing that lameness.

I don’t launch into a generalized cheap

Another thing to consider – does not the NHL need a growing fan base to sustain itself and expand? So we again have balance conferences?

You may want to consider teaching instead of flaming. Just might have more long term positive impact.

8. blackhawks2010 - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Kaptaanamerica is back to chime in, hilarious.

Canucks are the laughingstock soap opera of the NHL, be real. I’m heading over on the Saturday to watch the Hawks play your minor league group. I love the City and most Canucks fans are intelligent, except you. I will enjoy Stanley Park with our family and wear our colors proud. Heck, I may even let you touch my Stanley Cup Toews jersey.

9. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I’m running my mouth because I said it was a rough night for the Hawks and Avs. You ladies need some thicker skin. Your precious team can have an off night- it’s OK, it happens. Did I say you suck? Did I mention anything about the playoffs or standings (before crybaby chimed in). Hawks lost 7-2 to Nashville, and I said OUCH. Wow, I’m such a trash talker… :(

10. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:13 PM

By the way, where are the comments like “Nashville didn’t beat us, Hawks have them the game”. I hear that BS every time you guys lose- especially when the Blues beat you twice this year…

• hawksin5 - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM

jhaegs. blackhawks are a different team now.

• hammerhead5573 - Nov 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Please provide examples of this. I have seen your posts from time to time when the Hawks have not won. And you obviously overstate your importance. Furthermore the last time we had an exchange and of course today you say we Hawk fans always use the excuse the other team didn’t beat us or the other team got lucky. Ironically the next day when St Louis lost you stated the other team got lucky followed by a backhanded compliment. See just because someone comes on PHT and states one thing or another does not speak for all fans of that team. If I took everything you said and accused all Blues fans of it, wow they all would be homers and “classy” fans. But I don’t. It’s just you.So again, I ask you to please provide examples of when this was said. Dont waste your time, you wont find it. Hypocrite!

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Hawks lost because they played badly and the Preds played much better. No excuses. Coach Q can observe that they were charitable and not be demeaning. He was probably sending a message to his team about their mistakes.

He probably commented to them about not reading their press clippings and taking everyone seriously.

11. fearthefangs - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM

“It started poorly and pretty much went downhill from there.”

Uh noooo…. it started great and got better from there. Does NBC think the Blackhawks the only team in this league?

12. lovepopcorn - Nov 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I am really looking forward to the Avalanche/Blackhawk game on Tuesday. I say Colorado takes this one.

13. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Hahaha are you kidding me? Are you referring to the time I gave credit to the Jets battling back, and said the Blues could’ve used some of the bounces they got? You obviously didn’t watch that game…

I’ve got an assignment for you- find a time when Hawks fans DIDN’T say something along line of “Hawks lost this game” or they “beat themselves”. Stop looking- you won’t find it. Too bad you can’t be a gracious loser like Coach Q…

This much crying over me saying “Ouch”… I’m sure that’s what every Blackhawks fan was thinking, but I said it, so boo hoo.

• kaptaanamerica - Nov 17, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hawks are like j toes every loss, they beat themselves.never give any credit to the other team…

14. muckleflugga - Nov 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM

grace will become a blackhawk byword before this season ends…

without a lockout shortened season, without refereeing tolerating team penchant for diving, whining and the never ending power play gifts late-on and in ot, hawks will have to play on equal footing

look for toews to miss a third of the season with the ubiquitous upper-body ailment, kane to get thoroughly drilled and rendered neuter by some ape out west who ignores the fancy stick and just goes straight through the poster boy for yellow cabs and look for hossa to bank serious down-time with a torn nail…ooooh ooooh ooooohieeee

kings again when grit and man style hockey count, keep the girls in chicago

• comeonnowguys - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Are you a Kings fan? Because they, not Chicago were flopping all over the WCF last year. Hate to break it to you.

Oh wait, I really don’t.

15. muckleflugga - Nov 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

esracerx46

i’m pretty sure the blues made the stanley cup finals in each of its first three seasons, attributable to league alignment perhaps

blues made the playoffs in twenty five straight seasons, no small accomplishment

hawks fans will have much to fear from blues before this season ends, book it

16. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM

They should’ve put Shaw in net… without a mask. Maybe a few slappers would fix that ugly mug of his. They could do him a favor and lather some acne cream on the puck while they’re at it…

• comeonnowguys - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Gee. That sounds almost “obnoxious.”

17. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM

If he used wiki, he might’ve seen that the Blues have made 3 cup appearances…

18. ubadbro - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Time to add gasoline to this fire :)
    This year is a FULL SEASON, cryhawks are not going to the finals
    Somebody did look up how many cups they won which is 5 congrats to you bandwagon fan
    5 cups is cute, still in single digits lol

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Typical hawks haters/envyers post, which shows grasping at trite sayings they’ve heard others use instead of thinking through their post.

If you’d have spoken about the President’s trophy they won, I’d say you are absolutely right – BIG *

They did not play 1/2 a Stanley cup series. They won 4 series and 16 games, just like the last time they won it.

19. jhaegs - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I like the username “Blackhawks2010″… Most hawks fans didn’t think they existed before then.

• comeonnowguys - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM

You know, now that you mention it, I don’t remember you trolling all these Blackhawk articles last year, and now you’re chest-thumping over the Blues this year?

Sounds to me like “pot, meet kettle.”

• 19to77 - Nov 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

No kidding. All of a sudden we’ve got a diehard Blues fanatic on here and last year, where was he to be found? Nowhere. Go figure, we start hearing chirpy Blues fans literally as soon as some (naive) bloggers start predicting them for the Cup, and not a bit before. What a shameless bandwagon.

20. ubadbro - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Learn to read….FULL SEASON, NOT PLAYOFF

21. tone360 - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Q will smack your real momma!

22. jhaegs - Nov 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM

I joined this site in the past year because ScoreCenter no longer had the Sec140 for chatting, and I don’t have facebook. I’ve been a Blues fan since I was 9 and started playing hockey, so it’s been 17yrs. I was crushed when Brett Hull left, seeing as I had just received his jersey for Christmas. I’ve also been a Rams fan since I started playing football at the age of 8, and continue to be one. If I were a bandwagon fan, I wouldn’t have worn any of my Rams apparel since about 2002. My involvement with this site has no relation to how long I’ve been a fan.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches