Nov 16, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
It seems like the 23-year-old defenseman has fallen out of favor with Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, but the bench boss thinks Del Zotto can change that.
“I’ve been told there is more to his game than what I have seen, and we need that from him,” Vigneault told Blueshirts United.
“We feel tonight we need to make a change there, and I’m hoping he’ll react the same way (Mats) Zuccarello did when he was fighting it a little bit. He took it upon himself to get his game to where we needed it to be, and he’s been one of our better players now.”
Zuccarello has two goals and 10 points in 10 contests since being listed as a healthy scratch on Oct. 24.
Del Zotto had 13 goals, 62 points, and a plus-26 rating in 123 games in his previous two seasons. By contrast, he has four points and a minus-four rating in 16 contests in 2013-14.
Defenseman Justin Falk will get an opportunity to play with Del Zotto out of the lineup.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 11
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 37
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)