Nov 16, 2013, 5:11 PM EST
It seems like the 23-year-old defenseman has fallen out of favor with Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, but the bench boss thinks Del Zotto can change that.
“I’ve been told there is more to his game than what I have seen, and we need that from him,” Vigneault told Blueshirts United.
“We feel tonight we need to make a change there, and I’m hoping he’ll react the same way (Mats) Zuccarello did when he was fighting it a little bit. He took it upon himself to get his game to where we needed it to be, and he’s been one of our better players now.”
Zuccarello has two goals and 10 points in 10 contests since being listed as a healthy scratch on Oct. 24.
Del Zotto had 13 goals, 62 points, and a plus-26 rating in 123 games in his previous two seasons. By contrast, he has four points and a minus-four rating in 16 contests in 2013-14.
Defenseman Justin Falk will get an opportunity to play with Del Zotto out of the lineup.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)