Nov 16, 2013, 5:11 PM EDT
It seems like the 23-year-old defenseman has fallen out of favor with Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, but the bench boss thinks Del Zotto can change that.
“I’ve been told there is more to his game than what I have seen, and we need that from him,” Vigneault told Blueshirts United.
“We feel tonight we need to make a change there, and I’m hoping he’ll react the same way (Mats) Zuccarello did when he was fighting it a little bit. He took it upon himself to get his game to where we needed it to be, and he’s been one of our better players now.”
Zuccarello has two goals and 10 points in 10 contests since being listed as a healthy scratch on Oct. 24.
Del Zotto had 13 goals, 62 points, and a plus-26 rating in 123 games in his previous two seasons. By contrast, he has four points and a minus-four rating in 16 contests in 2013-14.
Defenseman Justin Falk will get an opportunity to play with Del Zotto out of the lineup.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)