Nov 16, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have shipped forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for 2014 third-round and seventh-round draft picks as well as defenseman Jesse Blacker.
Update: The third-round selection will become a second-round pick if Holland plays in at least 25 contests with Toronto, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Holland will provide the Toronto Maple Leafs with some desperately needed help up the middle. The Maple Leafs are currently without centers Dave Bolland (ankle), Tyler Bozak (hamstring), and Nazem Kadri (suspended). That being said, Holland is more than just a short-term fix. The 22-year-old center was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and has been dominant in the minors.
Toronto will also add some depth with the acquisition of 29-year-old Staubitz. The Ducks have kept him in the minors this season, so they’ll probably be happy to get what’s left of his one-way, $650,000 salary off the books. He has 21 points and 521 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games.
Blacker, 22, has yet to make his NHL debut, but he had 11 points and 33 penalty minutes in 61 AHL games last season. He was taken with the 58th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlyle says Holland will play with some of their better players tonight.
— James Mírtle (@mirtle) November 16, 2013
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)