Nov 16, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have shipped forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for 2014 third-round and seventh-round draft picks as well as defenseman Jesse Blacker.
Update: The third-round selection will become a second-round pick if Holland plays in at least 25 contests with Toronto, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Holland will provide the Toronto Maple Leafs with some desperately needed help up the middle. The Maple Leafs are currently without centers Dave Bolland (ankle), Tyler Bozak (hamstring), and Nazem Kadri (suspended). That being said, Holland is more than just a short-term fix. The 22-year-old center was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and has been dominant in the minors.
Toronto will also add some depth with the acquisition of 29-year-old Staubitz. The Ducks have kept him in the minors this season, so they’ll probably be happy to get what’s left of his one-way, $650,000 salary off the books. He has 21 points and 521 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games.
Blacker, 22, has yet to make his NHL debut, but he had 11 points and 33 penalty minutes in 61 AHL games last season. He was taken with the 58th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlyle says Holland will play with some of their better players tonight.
— James Mírtle (@mirtle) November 16, 2013
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 33
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 6
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)