Nov 16, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks announced that they have shipped forwards Peter Holland and Brad Staubitz to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for 2014 third-round and seventh-round draft picks as well as defenseman Jesse Blacker.
Update: The third-round selection will become a second-round pick if Holland plays in at least 25 contests with Toronto, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Holland will provide the Toronto Maple Leafs with some desperately needed help up the middle. The Maple Leafs are currently without centers Dave Bolland (ankle), Tyler Bozak (hamstring), and Nazem Kadri (suspended). That being said, Holland is more than just a short-term fix. The 22-year-old center was taken with the 15th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and has been dominant in the minors.
Toronto will also add some depth with the acquisition of 29-year-old Staubitz. The Ducks have kept him in the minors this season, so they’ll probably be happy to get what’s left of his one-way, $650,000 salary off the books. He has 21 points and 521 penalty minutes in 230 career NHL games.
Blacker, 22, has yet to make his NHL debut, but he had 11 points and 33 penalty minutes in 61 AHL games last season. He was taken with the 58th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Carlyle says Holland will play with some of their better players tonight.
— James Mírtle (@mirtle) November 16, 2013
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 18
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)