Nov 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
Ryan Strome hasn’t made his NHL debut yet, but at this rate he won’t have to wait much longer. The 20-year-old forward has been dominating with the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and is earning high praise from his coach Scott Pellerin.
Of course it helps when a star forward like John Tavares takes you under his wing.
“To be able to have that type of role model and someone to be there every day to talk to, to be your friend but also to learn from, is huge,” Strome told NHL.com.
“You can never learn too much from a guy like that, someone that’s so decorated at such a young age and who’s still growing. That’s somebody I aspire to be and it’s great to be around that.”
Tavares has done more than give Strome pointers though. Strome was able to join him for the summer so that they could prepare for the 2013-14 campaign together. That allowed Strome to see first hand what kind of off-ice preparation are necessary to compete in the NHL.
Strome was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and the Islanders have been taking a slow and steady approach with his development. He has four goals and 16 points in 13 contests as an AHL rookie.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)