Nov 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Strome hasn’t made his NHL debut yet, but at this rate he won’t have to wait much longer. The 20-year-old forward has been dominating with the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and is earning high praise from his coach Scott Pellerin.
Of course it helps when a star forward like John Tavares takes you under his wing.
“To be able to have that type of role model and someone to be there every day to talk to, to be your friend but also to learn from, is huge,” Strome told NHL.com.
“You can never learn too much from a guy like that, someone that’s so decorated at such a young age and who’s still growing. That’s somebody I aspire to be and it’s great to be around that.”
Tavares has done more than give Strome pointers though. Strome was able to join him for the summer so that they could prepare for the 2013-14 campaign together. That allowed Strome to see first hand what kind of off-ice preparation are necessary to compete in the NHL.
Strome was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and the Islanders have been taking a slow and steady approach with his development. He has four goals and 16 points in 13 contests as an AHL rookie.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 43
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 20
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)