Nov 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Strome hasn’t made his NHL debut yet, but at this rate he won’t have to wait much longer. The 20-year-old forward has been dominating with the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and is earning high praise from his coach Scott Pellerin.
Of course it helps when a star forward like John Tavares takes you under his wing.
“To be able to have that type of role model and someone to be there every day to talk to, to be your friend but also to learn from, is huge,” Strome told NHL.com.
“You can never learn too much from a guy like that, someone that’s so decorated at such a young age and who’s still growing. That’s somebody I aspire to be and it’s great to be around that.”
Tavares has done more than give Strome pointers though. Strome was able to join him for the summer so that they could prepare for the 2013-14 campaign together. That allowed Strome to see first hand what kind of off-ice preparation are necessary to compete in the NHL.
Strome was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and the Islanders have been taking a slow and steady approach with his development. He has four goals and 16 points in 13 contests as an AHL rookie.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)