Nov 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Strome hasn’t made his NHL debut yet, but at this rate he won’t have to wait much longer. The 20-year-old forward has been dominating with the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and is earning high praise from his coach Scott Pellerin.
Of course it helps when a star forward like John Tavares takes you under his wing.
“To be able to have that type of role model and someone to be there every day to talk to, to be your friend but also to learn from, is huge,” Strome told NHL.com.
“You can never learn too much from a guy like that, someone that’s so decorated at such a young age and who’s still growing. That’s somebody I aspire to be and it’s great to be around that.”
Tavares has done more than give Strome pointers though. Strome was able to join him for the summer so that they could prepare for the 2013-14 campaign together. That allowed Strome to see first hand what kind of off-ice preparation are necessary to compete in the NHL.
Strome was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and the Islanders have been taking a slow and steady approach with his development. He has four goals and 16 points in 13 contests as an AHL rookie.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)