Nov 16, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Strome hasn’t made his NHL debut yet, but at this rate he won’t have to wait much longer. The 20-year-old forward has been dominating with the New York Islanders’ AHL affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and is earning high praise from his coach Scott Pellerin.
Of course it helps when a star forward like John Tavares takes you under his wing.
“To be able to have that type of role model and someone to be there every day to talk to, to be your friend but also to learn from, is huge,” Strome told NHL.com.
“You can never learn too much from a guy like that, someone that’s so decorated at such a young age and who’s still growing. That’s somebody I aspire to be and it’s great to be around that.”
Tavares has done more than give Strome pointers though. Strome was able to join him for the summer so that they could prepare for the 2013-14 campaign together. That allowed Strome to see first hand what kind of off-ice preparation are necessary to compete in the NHL.
Strome was taken with the fifth overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and the Islanders have been taking a slow and steady approach with his development. He has four goals and 16 points in 13 contests as an AHL rookie.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)