Nov 16, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche weren’t shy about expressing their disapproval of Blues forward Chris Stewart after he dropped his gloves against Cory Sarich in the second period of last night’s 7-3 victory for St. Louis.
The 26-year-old Blues forward chose to respond to those criticisms today by asserting that he didn’t force Sarich to fight him. Stewart said he simply asked Sarich and the 6-foot-4 defenseman accepted.
As for Giguere’s claim that it was gutless?
“This is the same guy who ratted on his team about a Vegas trip. So I don’t really care about his opinion, to be honest,” Stewart told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Stewart was referencing an incident that happened in April when Giguere said that some members of the struggling Avalanche were “more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games.”
Giguere later apologized for airing “dirty laundry.”
The team’s management and coaching staff has changed dramatically since then. Now the Avalanche are starting to look like serious contenders despite a two-game losing streak and of course the Blues are off to a great start too. These two teams will only have to wait until Nov. 27 for their rematch.
In the meantime, if you want to see the fight that spark these comments, here it is:
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)