Nov 16, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche weren’t shy about expressing their disapproval of Blues forward Chris Stewart after he dropped his gloves against Cory Sarich in the second period of last night’s 7-3 victory for St. Louis.
The 26-year-old Blues forward chose to respond to those criticisms today by asserting that he didn’t force Sarich to fight him. Stewart said he simply asked Sarich and the 6-foot-4 defenseman accepted.
As for Giguere’s claim that it was gutless?
“This is the same guy who ratted on his team about a Vegas trip. So I don’t really care about his opinion, to be honest,” Stewart told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Stewart was referencing an incident that happened in April when Giguere said that some members of the struggling Avalanche were “more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games.”
Giguere later apologized for airing “dirty laundry.”
The team’s management and coaching staff has changed dramatically since then. Now the Avalanche are starting to look like serious contenders despite a two-game losing streak and of course the Blues are off to a great start too. These two teams will only have to wait until Nov. 27 for their rematch.
In the meantime, if you want to see the fight that spark these comments, here it is:
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)