Nov 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Cory Schneider has a 1.98 GAA and just one win in nine starts this season. Last night he kept the Los Angeles Kings off the scoresheet for the first 53 minutes of the contest, but was still the losing goaltender.
That’s the fourth time the Devils have failed to provide Schneider with even one goal worth of support. On two other occasions — both losses — New Jersey has been held to just one goal when Schneider was playing between the pipes. So he has a pretty good excuse if anyone wants to bring up his 1-5-3 record; only he’s not using it.
“Sometimes it’s up to you if things aren’t going your way that you’ve got to be the one that wins the game 1-0 instead of losing 1-0,” he told the Bergen Record.
“Especially late in the game, 0-0, you’d like to come up with a save that keeps it that score and your guys go down the ice and get the first one.”
New Jersey Devils coach Peter DeBoer seemed to have a different view as he expressed his disappointment that the Devils couldn’t provide Schneider with any offensive support. By contrast, Martin Brodeur has put up similar numbers to Schneider, but has a 5-3-2 record thanks to his teammates scoring far more often when he’s in net.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)