Nov 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Cory Schneider has a 1.98 GAA and just one win in nine starts this season. Last night he kept the Los Angeles Kings off the scoresheet for the first 53 minutes of the contest, but was still the losing goaltender.
That’s the fourth time the Devils have failed to provide Schneider with even one goal worth of support. On two other occasions — both losses — New Jersey has been held to just one goal when Schneider was playing between the pipes. So he has a pretty good excuse if anyone wants to bring up his 1-5-3 record; only he’s not using it.
“Sometimes it’s up to you if things aren’t going your way that you’ve got to be the one that wins the game 1-0 instead of losing 1-0,” he told the Bergen Record.
“Especially late in the game, 0-0, you’d like to come up with a save that keeps it that score and your guys go down the ice and get the first one.”
New Jersey Devils coach Peter DeBoer seemed to have a different view as he expressed his disappointment that the Devils couldn’t provide Schneider with any offensive support. By contrast, Martin Brodeur has put up similar numbers to Schneider, but has a 5-3-2 record thanks to his teammates scoring far more often when he’s in net.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)