Nov 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Cory Schneider has a 1.98 GAA and just one win in nine starts this season. Last night he kept the Los Angeles Kings off the scoresheet for the first 53 minutes of the contest, but was still the losing goaltender.
That’s the fourth time the Devils have failed to provide Schneider with even one goal worth of support. On two other occasions — both losses — New Jersey has been held to just one goal when Schneider was playing between the pipes. So he has a pretty good excuse if anyone wants to bring up his 1-5-3 record; only he’s not using it.
“Sometimes it’s up to you if things aren’t going your way that you’ve got to be the one that wins the game 1-0 instead of losing 1-0,” he told the Bergen Record.
“Especially late in the game, 0-0, you’d like to come up with a save that keeps it that score and your guys go down the ice and get the first one.”
New Jersey Devils coach Peter DeBoer seemed to have a different view as he expressed his disappointment that the Devils couldn’t provide Schneider with any offensive support. By contrast, Martin Brodeur has put up similar numbers to Schneider, but has a 5-3-2 record thanks to his teammates scoring far more often when he’s in net.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 15
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 29
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)