Nov 16, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Cory Schneider has a 1.98 GAA and just one win in nine starts this season. Last night he kept the Los Angeles Kings off the scoresheet for the first 53 minutes of the contest, but was still the losing goaltender.
That’s the fourth time the Devils have failed to provide Schneider with even one goal worth of support. On two other occasions — both losses — New Jersey has been held to just one goal when Schneider was playing between the pipes. So he has a pretty good excuse if anyone wants to bring up his 1-5-3 record; only he’s not using it.
“Sometimes it’s up to you if things aren’t going your way that you’ve got to be the one that wins the game 1-0 instead of losing 1-0,” he told the Bergen Record.
“Especially late in the game, 0-0, you’d like to come up with a save that keeps it that score and your guys go down the ice and get the first one.”
New Jersey Devils coach Peter DeBoer seemed to have a different view as he expressed his disappointment that the Devils couldn’t provide Schneider with any offensive support. By contrast, Martin Brodeur has put up similar numbers to Schneider, but has a 5-3-2 record thanks to his teammates scoring far more often when he’s in net.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 7
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)