Nov 16, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are getting ready to play in their 16th straight game without star forward Rick Nash (concussion) tonight, but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible.
Nash has skated eight days in a row and took part in the Rangers’ practice this morning. He has already been given the green light to engage in contact drills, so at this point the main thing holding him back is his conditioning.
If everything goes well, Nash is hoping to be back in game shape for either Tuesday’s contest against Boston or Thursday’s match versus Dallas.
The 29-year-old originally sustained the injury when he was hit by San Jose’s Brad Stuart on Oct. 8. The Sharks defenseman served a three-game suspension for his actions, but Nash dismissed it as a “hockey play.”
“Everything happened so fast, I’ve had some dangerous plays against other players that it’s just a spur of the moment, it happens,” Nash told the Bergen Record.
Although they have heated up lately, the Rangers still rank in the bottom third of the NHL with 2.28 goals per game. That’s something Nash can certainly help them with.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 5
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)