Nov 16, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are getting ready to play in their 16th straight game without star forward Rick Nash (concussion) tonight, but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible.
Nash has skated eight days in a row and took part in the Rangers’ practice this morning. He has already been given the green light to engage in contact drills, so at this point the main thing holding him back is his conditioning.
If everything goes well, Nash is hoping to be back in game shape for either Tuesday’s contest against Boston or Thursday’s match versus Dallas.
The 29-year-old originally sustained the injury when he was hit by San Jose’s Brad Stuart on Oct. 8. The Sharks defenseman served a three-game suspension for his actions, but Nash dismissed it as a “hockey play.”
“Everything happened so fast, I’ve had some dangerous plays against other players that it’s just a spur of the moment, it happens,” Nash told the Bergen Record.
Although they have heated up lately, the Rangers still rank in the bottom third of the NHL with 2.28 goals per game. That’s something Nash can certainly help them with.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)