Nov 16, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are getting ready to play in their 16th straight game without star forward Rick Nash (concussion) tonight, but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible.
Nash has skated eight days in a row and took part in the Rangers’ practice this morning. He has already been given the green light to engage in contact drills, so at this point the main thing holding him back is his conditioning.
If everything goes well, Nash is hoping to be back in game shape for either Tuesday’s contest against Boston or Thursday’s match versus Dallas.
The 29-year-old originally sustained the injury when he was hit by San Jose’s Brad Stuart on Oct. 8. The Sharks defenseman served a three-game suspension for his actions, but Nash dismissed it as a “hockey play.”
“Everything happened so fast, I’ve had some dangerous plays against other players that it’s just a spur of the moment, it happens,” Nash told the Bergen Record.
Although they have heated up lately, the Rangers still rank in the bottom third of the NHL with 2.28 goals per game. That’s something Nash can certainly help them with.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)