Nov 16, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are getting ready to play in their 16th straight game without star forward Rick Nash (concussion) tonight, but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible.
Nash has skated eight days in a row and took part in the Rangers’ practice this morning. He has already been given the green light to engage in contact drills, so at this point the main thing holding him back is his conditioning.
If everything goes well, Nash is hoping to be back in game shape for either Tuesday’s contest against Boston or Thursday’s match versus Dallas.
The 29-year-old originally sustained the injury when he was hit by San Jose’s Brad Stuart on Oct. 8. The Sharks defenseman served a three-game suspension for his actions, but Nash dismissed it as a “hockey play.”
“Everything happened so fast, I’ve had some dangerous plays against other players that it’s just a spur of the moment, it happens,” Nash told the Bergen Record.
Although they have heated up lately, the Rangers still rank in the bottom third of the NHL with 2.28 goals per game. That’s something Nash can certainly help them with.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)