Nov 16, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Boston Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg isn’t likely to be suspended after delivering a high elbow to Bobby Ryan in the third period of Ottawa’s 4-2 victory last night, according to CSN New England.
Although the NHL has plenty of time to deal with this matter because Boston isn’t scheduled to play again until Monday, no hearing has been scheduled. The two players were in a race for the puck along the end boards when they made contact, causing Seidenberg to elbow Ryan in the face. You can see the hit below:
There was no penalty on the play, but that was the last shift of Ryan’s night. The good news is that he was able to participate in Saturday’s practice and hopes to play on Sunday against Columbus despite some upper-body stiffness.
“I saw the replay a few times, he definitely connected,” Ryan said, according to the team’s official website. “It is what it is, I don’t know if it was clean or not, that’s not for me to decide. It just was one of those plays that probably got away from him. He’s not a malicious player by any means so I don’t have any ill will towards him from my end.”
Having said that, Ryan is somewhat surprised that there has been no review.
Finally, here is another angle of the same hit, which doesn’t show the lead up, but better illustrates the contact and Ryan’s reaction:
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)