Nov 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
In his first full National Hockey League season, Danny DeKeyser continues to assert himself on the Detroit Red Wings blue line.
DeKeyser, who joined the Red Wings midway through the lockout-shortened season after playing three years at Western Michigan University, is now second amongst rookie defensemen in scoring, with two goals and nine points.
He’s scored twice in his last five games. He also added an assist in Detroit’s 5-4 shootout loss to the New York Islanders on Saturday.
The statistics are only aesthetically pleasing. The 23-year-old DeKeyser’s impact on the Red Wings of late has only added to the trust the team’s coaching staff has in him so early in his NHL career.
He’s steadily been over 20 minutes of ice time per night, exceeding 26 minutes in Friday’s shootout loss to the Washington Capitals.
“He’s just got good hockey sense,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press.
“Elite skater and real good defender. Whoever he plays with, plays better. Real good players do that to their partners and linemates.
It’s something he’s come here and just grabbed. It wasn’t very long ago we didn’t even know whether to put him in the lineup. … Now he’s rolled along, he’s in our top three.”
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)