Nov 16, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
In his first full National Hockey League season, Danny DeKeyser continues to assert himself on the Detroit Red Wings blue line.
DeKeyser, who joined the Red Wings midway through the lockout-shortened season after playing three years at Western Michigan University, is now second amongst rookie defensemen in scoring, with two goals and nine points.
He’s scored twice in his last five games. He also added an assist in Detroit’s 5-4 shootout loss to the New York Islanders on Saturday.
The statistics are only aesthetically pleasing. The 23-year-old DeKeyser’s impact on the Red Wings of late has only added to the trust the team’s coaching staff has in him so early in his NHL career.
He’s steadily been over 20 minutes of ice time per night, exceeding 26 minutes in Friday’s shootout loss to the Washington Capitals.
“He’s just got good hockey sense,” Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press.
“Elite skater and real good defender. Whoever he plays with, plays better. Real good players do that to their partners and linemates.
It’s something he’s come here and just grabbed. It wasn’t very long ago we didn’t even know whether to put him in the lineup. … Now he’s rolled along, he’s in our top three.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 4
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (76)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)